Chapter 32

I hate suits.

I hate lunches with suits.

And I hate bullshit business conversations that only concern suits.

But me and Jersey are surrounded by them.

Dad's whole firm is here, sitting around yapping into their phones, stuffing themselves with French caviar, and comparing car keys to see whose ride has the biggest price tag. In these circles, that's "man code" for who has the biggest dick.

Typical.

I wish I could say that my dad was a better man than his co-workers, but he isn't.

He's perched at the head of the table with his arm around his wrinkly barbie doll of a new girlfriend, shooting the shit with his boys like it's another day at the office.

Like his son isn't sitting at the other end of the table with a fat lip from a cop he's supposed to be suing.

But he hasn't said anything about the situation at all.

He's laughing and smiling while the piece on his arm enjoys the perks of being his girl of the moment.

I can't stand looking at them, listening to them, or forcing myself to be social with them. So I don't say anything at all.

But Jersey's talking up a storm.

Ever since my dad's new girlfriend, "Vikki", sat her next to some fat, sweaty balding guy who's suit smells like pachouli, she's been going off a mile a minute about how his scent reminds her of home.

She keeps making new friends everywhere we go. Who knew a little weed would break her out of her shell. The only downside is, she hasn't really spoken to me.

Ever since I embarrassed myself in front of her in the bathroom, she's been--weird.

Not weird enough to not be physical. She's been pretty cool about me holding her hand and stealing kisses whenever my dad's not watching.

But she can't look me in the eye...which isn't a good thing.

If I was still in the business of lying to myself, I'd chalk up her awkwardness to the drugs.

But I'm pretty sure she's freaking out because of me.

I shut my eyes and try to play back the moment I spilled my guts to her to see if it's as awkward as I remember.

Yeah.

I looked like an ass.

I scared her.

And even though I denied saying what I did, I'm pretty sure she knows I'm lying.

Great.

I grab the glass of wine Vikki mindlessly put in front of me and toss it back in one gulp.