Chapter 34

Alex

Northern Lights Cafe is packed, and when I say packed I mean wall-to-wall, lines-out-the-door, no-chair-free level packed.

Normally, this wouldn't bother me. This little slice of heaven is my everyday goto for all of my caffeine-related needs and as long as the wait doesn't make me late for class, I don't mind the bustle. But tonight, everyone and their grandmother is here getting their study on for midterms (unlike a certain boy I know).

I scan the seating area, trying to find the life-changing truth that Indigo said would be here, but I just see--people. The room is filled with tables and tables of strangers buried in their books, zoning out in front of their computers, and scrolling through their phones.

Nothing's out of the ordinary--at all. So I scramble over to the display of Daily Bruin newspapers to dig for a piece of evidence she might've been talking about. I crack open the latest issue and flip through page after crinkled page until I reach the gossip section.

There's articles about Kim Kardashian's latest Beverly Hills appearance, the upcoming movie premieres in Westwood, and a surprisingly snore-inducing series of stories in the gossip column--but no mention of Elias. I turn to the back and expect to see a giant blown up picture of Elias making out with some Hollywood actress or pop star I don't know about, but there's nothing but classifieds. Just lost dogs, adoptable cats, and new apartments.

No secrets.

No reason to worry at all.

I finally breathe. I breathe for the first time since I left my dorm in a panic and make a mental note to rant at Indigo for making me freak out in the first place.

What was she even talking about?

"It'll end things or mend things" or whatever. There's no end or mend-worthy news anywhere to be found in the paper, so I neatly place it back on the shelf and waltz over to the order counter to treat myself to a late-night latte. The line's dwindled down to a paltry handful of dismal looking students.