Chapter 2

Lunchtime. I walk to the cafeteria and stand in line for the food. Okay, where's Rebecca? My eyes scan the room. I see Rebecca sitting with Dalton, and some other kids in the center table. Wow, they seem popular. I walk over and take the empty seat next to Dalton.

"Hey." I say.

"Hey." Dalton winks.

Why does he keep winking at me? Ugh.

"Amy. This is Dana, Will, and Gabe." Rebecca states.

Wow, they're all so....perfect. How did I become so lucky? Act normal. Don't screw this up. I start eating my food, which tastes disgusting. Is this even sauce? Yeah, no thank you.

Gabe and Dalton get up and throw their half eaten meal in the trash. Sitting next to the trash is Cole, on the ground. He hasn't even touched his food, he's just there staring at it, frozen almost. Gabe and Dalton walk over to him, each snatching his arms. Cole weakly stands up, not even trying to get away. They drag him out of the cafeteria. What was that?

"Where are they taking Cole?" I ask shocked.

"To his daily dose of toilet water." Rebecca casually answers, typing on her phone.

Seriously? Poor Cole. I really wish I could help him.....no. No, I can't. That would be major "social suicide." I could end up just like him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first week of school was pretty much the same. Talking with Becca before class started, Dalton's daily winks, and the everyday sight of Cole being picked on one way or another. Thankfully it's Friday and the school day is over: I'm now in the principal's office. No, it's not because I got into trouble or anything, but because Mrs. Sanders, the principal, wanted to know how my first week of school was. Turns out I'm the very first homeschooled student at this school. That really doesn't make me feel any better.

"How were the classes? Compared to what you had at home?" She asks.

"It's better." I answer. She just looks at me for a moment, waiting for me to continue. I just want to leave. "Is that all?" I ask.

Mrs. Sanders half smiles, "Yes."

I grab my bag and leave her office. Sitting right outside looking in on me and her was Cole. He sees me notice him and jerks his head back. Why is he at the Principal's? I stare at him, and he looks at me with his head down. What do I do? Do I insult him? Do I talk to him for a change?

"Don't hurt me." He whispers, before I have a chance to do anything.

My heart thumps painfully. He thinks I would hurt him? Maybe I should reassure him..... No. I shouldn't, and I won't.

"You talk to me again and that's exactly what I'll do." I scowl, walking away. Before I turn my head around I see his eyes flicker with nervousness. Ugh. This whole school thing is really draining me out.