Chapter 19

The lights momentarily blinded my eyes as I walked onto the stage.  I felt my nerves rush when I saw the audience; all the seats were taken. I breathed in, and then out. I smiled in character, and felt warmth when I began singing the fiirst line of the song. Who's Amy?? This is Sandy. My mind instantly switched, and I became one with Sandy. I felt her innocence, her bright attitude, her love for romance. 

Cole stepped out onto the stage, but I barely recognized him. I didn't see a 'Cole', I saw a Danny. The most perfect Danny I had ever seen. His chocolate brown eyes melted into mine as he took the spotlight. His hair was slicked back just right, and his leather outfit totally made me drool inside. 

I almost missed my line, and my heart skipped a beat. I focused my attention away from Danny and continued singing. This was the best first opening, and I was screaming inside. Our song ended and the applause was right on time, I took a beat until the lights went dim and I scurried off stage. I had a quick change for the school scene. 

My breathing was furious as I entered the empty dressing room. I looked around for Olivia's help, but she wasn't there. I quietly whimpered to myself as I rushed to pull off my dress, I tried lifing it around my shoulders when it got stuck. It was too tight to get off, and I remembered that there was a zipper in the back. Well great. I wasn't able to reach the zipper so I ended up stomping my feet around like a mad woman having a silent tantrum. 

I froze as I saw myself in the mirror with my stomach completely showing and me only in my undershorts and the dress that was half off, tangling around me. I looked retarded. This is it, I am going to miss my cue and the whole show will be ruined because of me. 

I heard fast footsteps trailing and finally entered my room. I turned around immediantly in hope of some depesperate assistance, but was embarressed to see Cole. He looked at me with widended eyes. A smirk creeped up the crook of his face and he quickly covered it with his hand, stifling a laugh.

I gave a fake smile. "Yes, I look like a freakshow. Now help me!!" I exclaimed, flying my hands in the air. I knew I had barely anytime left, and I was beginning to feel hopeless. Cole shook his smile off and rushed over to me, now completely serious. He tried tugging at the shirt but it wouldn't budge.  

"There's a zipper." I stated. I felt his hands trickle down my skin, searching for the zipper. A shiver went through me, but I tried to ignore it.

I felt him find it and he quickly unzipped me, which caused the dress to fall flat on the floor. A slight breeze got me and I realized that I barely had any clothes on. I turned around to see Cole smirking, trailing me up and down. It made me a bit self concious, but all I could think about was getting on stage on time. 

I bolted to the clothing rack and and pulled off my next outfit. I pulled it on with the help of Cole and tied a little bow around my neck. I looked in the mirror and nodded in approval. I successfully changed. Now let's hope I didn't miss my cue.

I ran to the door without almost hitting Olivia rushing in. She stopped and took a second to look at me before dragging me out the door. 

"You only have a few lines until you enter! Go go go!" she pushed in a hushed tone. I ran around the backstage and quickly got to my spot before the cue line was said. I took a short breath and calmly walked on, as if nothing had happened. 

The rest of the play went on great, until came my solo, "Hopelessly Devoted To You". I don't know why, but whenever I hear that song I instantly l become sad. It's like I am being reminded of....... 

Cole. 

It's strage but it's true. It's like my heart shatters everytime I hear it. I pulled myself together, and started singing. I was the only one on the stage, but I was completely comfortable. It was an intense part of the play, and I just let all the emotions out into this song.