Chapter 21

Tobin saw Alex fall to the floor, crying. She felt no guilt towards Alex and hated her. She blamed Alex for everything bad that had happened to her and wanted nothing to do with Alex. She stared at Alex and then finally turned around, leaving the room and Alex.

Alex stayed on the ground, curled up in a ball, crying her eyes out. She felt alone and did not know what to do. She yearned for someone to comfort her right now. She wanted Tobin to comfort her, but she knew that Tobin hated her guts now. "This is all my fault. I hate myself, I hate myself," was all Alex thought of in her head.

After five long minutes of crying, Alex finally found the strength to call someone. First, she called Syd.

Syd answered her phone on the first ring, "Alex Morgan, where have you been and why have you been ignoring my calls?"

Alex took a deep breath, "Syd, I need your help." Alex's voice was shaking and she was choking on her words.

Syd noticed that Alex was crying and immediately grew concerned. "Alex, what's wrong?"

"She hates me, Syd. She hates me!" Alex yelled.

"What? Who hates you?"

"Tobin hates me! Tobin Heath hates me."

Alex explained to Syd what had happened and what Tobin's last words to Alex was.

"Does she not remember the argument? The way you put it made it sound like Tobin was the victim. If she had just told you the truth about committing to UNC, you both would not be in this madness right now," Syd was beginning to grow furious at Tobin.

"No, I thought she would remember after I told her, but she had to ask what my last words were. And Syd, if I hadn't made her promise to attend Berkeley with me, she would have told me about her commitment. She didn't want to break the promise, she was scared and-"
Syd cut Alex off, "Scared? Scared of what? Her telling the truth? That's bullshit, Alex. She should have told you the truth and broken the promise, like a mature person would do. Honestly Alex, forget Tobin. You have been so miserable with her in your life, I think it's time to let her go. If she wants to let you go, then you should let her go."

"It's not that simple, Syd," Alex responded.

"Cut her out of your life. She's corrupting it and I can hear it in your voice that your miserable and unhappy. I miss hearing your happy, raspy voice. Tobin is not herself anymore. This is a new Tobin and I don't know if you're ever going to get the old one back."

This made Alex think twice. She never realized how miserable her life has been since Tobin came back into it. Maybe Syd was right, maybe she should cut Tobin out of her life. If Tobin can move on, then so could she. But, before she could agree with Syd, a different person came onto the phone to tell her otherwise.

"Don't even think about agreeing to Syd, Alex," a familiar voice said.

"She took my phone and locked me out! Don't listen to Lauren!" Syd yelled from outside the door and loud enough for Alex to hear.

"I had a feeling you were going to show up," Alex responded.

Lauren smirked, "And I'm glad I did. Now, explain to me everything that has happened."

Alex explained to Lauren the whole story.

"She thinks she can transfer to UNC, just like that? Oh gosh, she really lost her mind, hasn't she?"