Chapter Seven: Cliche but Not

~ I bite my tongue, but I wanna scream out... ~

Chapter Seven: Cliche but Not

"She means something to me," I heard his strained voice saying. "I haven't quite got it all figured out yet, but I'm trying to, desperately. I've only known her for about a month and a half, but she's... she's done something to me; and it's beautiful."

I felt my heart leap slightly, hearing Max talking about me like that in my kitchen to Lucas. "I believe you," Lucas told Max. "Especially after last night. I don't just leave anyone to take care of her, Max. Symphony's something very unique, and I wouldn't have left her in your hands if I didn't believe you cared for her in a very special way."

I peeked around the corner of my hallway to get a look at what was going on. Max was facing away from me, leaning against the breakfast bar and nervously pulling at his hair. Lucas was watching him carefully, leaning back on the counter opposite Max and easily sipping on a mug of coffee.

"I don't get why I feel guilty..." Max's voice was suddenly a soft whisper, so quietly spoken I almost didn't catch it. Confusion suddenly manifested itself on my face as Lucas leaned forward slightly, shaking his head at Max.

"You shouldn't," Lucas assured him. "It's been six months, Max. You deserve to be happy, dude."

Max's shoulders drooped as I tried to wrap my head around the situation. Max must've told Lucas what happened six months ago that caused him so much pain, but he still couldn't bring himself to tell me. I felt bad for him, trying desperately to understand what about the event made him feel guilty about liking me so much.

I decided about now was a good time to make my presence known. I backed up down the hallway a little, before coughing and making heavier steps into the kitchen. Max and Lucas turned to me, both of them smiling gently at me as I walked through them to get to my coffee pot.

"Good morning, sweetie," Lucas greeted me, watching me yawn.

"Good morning, darling," Max greeted me next, the words flowing so easily from his lips. I smiled lightly, pulling my hair into a low side bun.

"Good morning, guys," I returned, fixing myself a cup of coffee. "Did you sleep alright, Max?" I asked, stirring cream and sugar in my coffee. He smiled at me when I turned around, raising his arm and beckoning me under it, against his side. I complied, listening as he gave a small 'mhmm' in reply, sipping on my coffee as his arm fell around my shoulders. Lucas stared at us and smirked, his hands around his warm mug.

"Do I need to go get some kind of Plan B pill?" he asked, chuckling lightly. Max struggled not to choke on his coffee, his face blushing a cute red as I stuck my tongue out at my best friend.

"Nope," I winked. "I found out two birth control pills will do the same thing, so I'm covered."

Lucas gagged and Max laughed nervously, making me chuckle lightly as I gave him a few assuring pats on the back. "I'm kidding, Max," I assured him. "And so is Lucas."

Lucas grinned and nodded. Max smiled lightly. "I know," he stated, letting me rest my head against his shoulder. He tensed slightly at the action, before relaxing totally, his fingers tracing the lines on my long sleeved sleep shirt.

"How do you feel, Simmy?" Lucas asked. I shrugged, sighing lightly.

"I'm tired," I told him. "And I've got a little hangover, but other than that I'm alright," I paused. "Exactly how badly did you mess up that guy last night?"

Lucas frowned a little. "He's fine," he assured me. "Don't worry so much, sweetie."

I shook my head. "You didn't have to do all that," I stated. "In fact, you probably shouldn't have."