Chapter Twelve: Without

~ It starts with an 'I' and ends with a 'you' ~

Chapter Twelve: Without

I rolled over in bed, the sheets empty and my comforter far too cold. It was nearly seven in the morning, and I'd caught about twenty minutes of sleep all night. I groaned, smacking my head in a pillow and reaching over for my phone, unlocking it without looking and dialing a number I knew by heart.

"Hello?" Lucas picked up. I sighed.

"How much do you love me?" I asked. My best friend laughed, and I cringed as I felt a migraine coming on.

"I'd say quite a bit," he told me. "What'dya need, sweetie?"

I groaned again. "Would you take my shift today?" I asked. "I didn't sleep at all last night, and I've got the beginnings of a horrific migraine."

Lucas chuckled. "Of course, Symphony," he said. "I'd be glad to."

I smiled a little. "You're the best, loser," I said.

My best friend laughed again as I heard shuffling. "I'm coming down to see you for a minute."

I nodded to myself. "You've got a key."

Just as I said that I heard the sound of my front door unlocking, the line clicking dead shortly after. I rested my head back on my pillow, pulling my cold comforter up around my body as the light streaming into my window seemed far too much for my eyes to handle. Lucas walked into my room moments later, smiling sweetly as he slowly crossed the room to my bed. He sat down, taking my hand.

"You look like shit," he laughed a little, making me roll my eyes. I playfully flipped him off, nuzzling further into my bed.

"I'm aware," I assured him. Lucas squeezed my fingers, watching me.

"Do you think your lack of sleeping has something to do with Max being gone?" he asked, slowly. I shrugged honestly, shaking my head at myself.

"If it does, I need to get it together," I stated. "It's only Wednesday; he doesn't come back until Saturday," I said, feeling myself suddenly longing to feel the brown haired, brown eyed boy beside me. His voice was the last one I'd heard aside from my own last night, having spoken to him for two sweet hours, letting him tell me about how much he'd missed his friends and how much he really wished I was there with him.

Lucas sighed a little, still watching me. "Is he Skyping you tonight?"

I nodded sleepily. "Yeah," I responded. "I'm hoping that if his lack of presence is what's bothering me then a Skype call or a FaceTime or something will help me out."

Lucas ran his thumb across the back of my palm, nodding a little. "Alright," he said, slowly standing up. "You have your peppermint oil and your pills, right?"

I pointed to my beside table as response. "Mhmm," I mumbled. Lucas smiled a little at my tired and almost sick state, slowly crossing the room to my window and closing the dark curtains I had, bathing the room in sweet, soothing blackness. He came back to my side, lightly ruffling my hair.

"I love you, sweetie," he told me, beginning to make his way out the door. "Get some rest."

I nodded tiredly. "I love you too, Lucas," I responded. "Thanks."

He laughed happily. "Anytime, bestie," he told me. "Anytime."

* * * * *

I groaned, rolling over and slapping my hand over my loudly ringing phone. I accepted the call without looking, pressing it to my ear and grunting into the microphone.