Chapter Forty-Three: Nervous

~ it's alright to shake... even my hand does sometimes ~

Chapter Forty-Three: Nervous

"You look so beautiful..."

I rolled my eyes, turning and throwing an unused tampon at my boyfriend. Max seemed slightly grossed out at what I threw at him, but it was honestly the closest nonbreakable thing around me, so I didn't feel too bad about it.

"Why did you throw a feminine product at me when I called you beautiful?"

I chuckled. "Because you're gonna need something super absorbent to soak up all that bullshit."

Max shook his head. "Why don't you just take the compliment?"

I ignored him, leaning forward to apply mascara in his mirror. "And why are you putting on makeup?" he asked, jumping up to sit beside where I stood in front of his bathroom vanity. I sighed, leaning back and looking up at him.

"Because I'd like to look like a decent human being when I meet your friends, Max," I sighed, watching him. "I'd like to feel at least presentable beside you."

Max frowned. "Little dove, you're beautiful with or without makeup," he spoke. "I don't know why you feel like you have to put it on for my friends... I think you're stunning without it."

I rolled my eyes again, leaning towards the mirror to finish my mascara. "Max, it isn't about what you think," I told him slowly. "It's all about how I see myself."

Max cocked his head at me, those brown eyes stirring. "What do you mean, baby?"

I sighed, finishing with my mascara and throwing it back in my makeup bag. "I mean if I need makeup to feel pretty in my own skin, then so be it," I spoke. "It's about seeing myself as beautiful."

Max didn't say anything for a few moments, watching me throw all my stuff back into the bag. I moved to leave his bathroom, but he stopped me, setting his hand on the nape of my neck and instead pulling me closer.

"Okay," he murmured, watching me warmly. "I get it, Simmy."

I nodded. "Thank you," I spoke, my voice barely audible. Max blinked softly, his thumb running along my cheekbone.

"Just do me a favor, okay?" he spoke. "When it's just you and me, leave the makeup off..." my boyfriend requested gently. "You don't have to feel beautiful around me, because I already know you're beautiful... Allow me that one simple pleasure."

I bit my lip, watching him and slowly nodding once more. Max smiled, leaning forward and pressing his lips against mine, kissing me for a moment, before allowing me to pull away, swiftly moving back into his room.

"I love you, you know that?" I asked, searching for something to wear in my bag as I heard him follow behind me. Max gave a soft chuckle, his arms snaking around my waist from behind as he kissed my hair, his warm breath sweet in my ear.

"Yeah. I know," he assured me. "And I love you more."

I smiled, slowly pulling my favorite pair of holey jeans out and holding them up, feeling Max sweetly resting his chin on my shoulder. "What d'ya think?" I asked. Max nodded slightly, kissing my jaw cutely.

"I think I love those jeans on you," he told me truthfully, his hands finding my hips. "They make your butt look super cute... But I think for tonight I'd like a pair much less revealing on that cute butt of yours."

I laughed lightly, looking back at him. "What?" I asked. "You don't wanna show my cute butt off to all your friends?"

Max chuckled, thinking this over for a moment. "Point made," he told me. "Yeah, go with those."