Chapter Forty-One: New Life

~ You might be left with my hair, but you'll have your mother's eyes ~

Chapter Forty-One: New Life

"Dammit..."

I sighed. "Is it mine or yours?"

Max groaned, curling closer to me. "I don't even wanna know at this point."

I resisted the urge to ignore the sound of a phone ringing two months later, slowly rolling away from Max and looking over at my bedside table. It was lit up and making stupidly loud sounds, making me groan as I recognized the ringtone and realized I had to get up and get it. I sat up and grabbed the annoying device, answering it and pressing it against my ear.

"Hello?" I mumbled. I felt Max roll over so he was closer to me, watching me sleepily as I noted the time: 2:16 AM.

"Sweetie?!" Lucas' alerted voice came through the speaker, startling me slightly and pushing me into awareness.

"Lucas?" I spoke, my voice clearer. "What's wrong?"

He sounded almost scared. "It's time, sweetie... Sophie's water just broke."

I was out of bed suddenly, throwing a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt at my boyfriend. "We'll be there soon," I spoke, before hanging up, watching Max sit up, suddenly as alert as me. He pulled his shirt on, before crawling out of bed, pulling on pants as I threw on a half-decent pair of shorts and one of Max's hoodies.

"Is it happening?" Max spoke, sliding into his shoes. I nodded, reaching my hand out for him and letting him come to my side, grasping my fingers in his and letting me pull him from the room.

"Am I driving?" he asked, grabbing his keys and a small drawstring back he'd kept by the door for days now. I nodded, both of us jogging out of the apartment, down the stairs, and into the car, heading to the hospital.

"Well," Max laughed, trying to ease my mind as he drove. "This'll put a wrinkle in tonight's plans."

I couldn't help but smile, setting my hand over his on my knee. "I know," I said. "I'm sorry, baby."

Max shrugged. "We can still celebrate," he told me. "I mean, we don't have to go out to celebrate our one year anniversary. Honestly, I'd rather just spend the day loving on you."

I giggled. "I don't think that's such a bad idea," I told him. "I mean, we could lay in bed and make love all day and night, and cuddle and laugh and talk."

Max smiled. "It's settled then," he laughed. "I'll cancel our reservations for dinner."

I grinned. "We can make dinner together..." I bit my lip. "I wonder which of us will hold out the longest without starting in on the other while we cook."

Max gave me this sexy little smirk, glancing over at me and biting his lip. "I'll probably cave first," he told me. "You know how much I crave your touch, how weak I am for your body against mine."

I giggled. "Maybe," I spoke.

Max pulled into the hospital parking lot, and we headed inside. Max took my hand as we got the room number from the lady at the front desk, and once we finally made it up there, we found Lucas pacing worriedly in front of a room.

"She's in a lot of pain," he told me, reaching out for me. I hugged him softly, letting him squeeze my body for comfort. "It's hard, ya know? Watching someone you love in so much pain."

I nodded. "I know, loser," I whispered. "You'll be okay."

He was tense, and I rubbed his back to calm him down again. Max came and set his hand on Lucas' shoulder, helping to keep him from freaking out too much.