Chapter Twenty-Eight: Relax

~ No I don't just want any pretty face, wanna wake up next to yours each day... ~

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Relax

Sophie and I sat on the floor of my bathroom, leaning against my vanity. Sophie couldn't stop staring at it; the silence that had clung to the room for almost two hours was deafening.

"I can't believe this," she whispered. "I can't."

I set my arm around her, pulling her to lean on my shoulder as she began crying again. "I know, sweetheart," I whispered. My eyes caught a glimpse of the two, pink, life changing lines, and I almost cringed.

"How do I tell him?" she whispered. "We're both so young..." Sophie shook her head. "We haven't even been dating for more than six months."

I sighed quietly, my heart hurting for the girl I'd come to call my best friend. "I know," I murmured. "Do you... Do you want me to be there when you tell him?"

Sophie held her hands over her stomach, tears streaming down her face. "Please," she whispered, almost brokenly. "God, I'm so scared."

I looked down at her. "Why?"

Sophie choked back a sob. "What if he leaves me because of it?" she managed. "It isn't uncommon for something like that to happen, a-and I couldn't handle the e-emotional break of l-losing him on t-top of having o-our child, and--"

I gently hushed her. "Lucas won't leave you, Sophie," I told her genuinely. "He isn't like that; he loves you like crazy, sweetheart."

She closed her eyes, and I felt so bad for her; this couldn't be easy on her, she was a college student, after all. Sophie sniffled.

"I'm gonna go up and lay down," she told me, slowly. "I... Thank you. Thank you so much, Symphony."

I frowned, but nodded, hugging her quietly. "Of course, Soph," I whispered, helping her stand. She sighed slowly, wiping at her eyes. "Call me when you decide when you want to tell him... I'll be right there for you, okay?"

Sophie managed a tiny smile. "Thank you," she whispered. "Thank you..."

I nodded, smiling assuringly as she began walking from the room. I quickly tossed both pregnancy tests in the small trash can, following after her and letting her out.

It took almost three hours when it was all said and done. I was exhausted, and didn't want to move after I plopped down on the couch with Storm. I found myself dozing, and eventually passing out, yet another hour later in the festering silence of the room.

I was woken from a nightmare with a start, my eyes snapping open and my body launching forward as my hand flew over my heart on my chest. "Shit," I heard, and my boyfriend was suddenly kneeling beside me, his hand on my thigh. "Are you okay, little dove?"

My breathing was long and labored as I closed my eyes, putting my hand to my forehead. I was sweating, my hair sticking grossly to my chest and shoulders, and I was suddenly racked with a violent chill, making my body shake rigidly. My lips let slip an involuntary whimper, and Max was behind me on the couch in an instant, wrapping my throw blanket around the front of my body and sliding me quickly into his lap. He hushed me gently, warming my suddenly so chilled skin by running his hands up and down my arms, his lips pressing against the top of my head.

"It's alright, my guardian angel." Max's voice soothed me. "I'm right here. I've got you, baby..."

I curled into his warm body, letting him hold me protectively against his chest. I shivered, resting so I could hear his heartbeat. "There..." he gave me a tiny smile. "Nothing's gonna get you while I have you, lovely." My boyfriend paused. "Now what's wrong, my sweet Symphony?"