Chapter Twenty-Three: Keeping Promises

~ My head in the clouds, but my gravity centered ~

Chapter Twenty-Three: Keeping Promises

I was playing video games with Lucas a week or so later, right after New Years, when Max used his key to get in, dropping his backpack behind the couch and standing beside me. I smiled as Max stood there for a moment, not taking my eyes off the screen as I battled Heartless.

"Hey, baby," I greeted, flicking away on my controller. "I thought you were staying at your place tonight?" I mused. Max didn't respond, making me look up at him. He looked at me, his expression unreadable, his face one of stone. He wore a dark blue button up and a pair of jeans, as if maybe he'd just come off set, and I frowned slowly at his expression, pausing my game.

"We need to talk..." he said, slowly. I tensed, watching him, trying desperately to get a hint at anything in his face. Was he... Was he breaking up with me?

My mind began reeling, going over everything that had happened in the past few weeks, and couldn't find anything that was really enough to cause him to break up with me. I almost began crying right then and there, until, Max, almost reading my mind, shook his head, his expression softening slightly. "No, little dove," he said, gently. "I know what you're thinking, and no; that's not what I want to talk about."

I let out a small breath. "Do I need to leave?" Lucas asked, slowly. Max shook his head again, his gaze shifting to my best friend.

"No," he said. "I want you here to back me up."

Lucas snorted. "I like you and all," Lucas began. "And I think of you almost like a brother, Max, but there isn't much in this world I'll side with you on against Simmy."

Max looked back at me. "I think you'll see this my way," he said, sitting on the coffee table in front of me. He slowly slid his hand into mine, his eyes locked on mine, watching me intensely. He took a deep breath, before blinking.

"I want to meet your mother," Max breathed.

Nothing moved for a long minute. I didn't breathe, didn't blink, didn't flinch; I stared at my boyfriend. The statement finally registered, and I realized I'd reached the end of my rope.

"Max," I whispered. Lucas watched us, watched me, before sighing quietly.

"Unfortunately," he said, slowly. "Max is right; I'm on his side tonight."

I suddenly felt helpless. "Please, Max," I spoke. "Try to understand."

Max sighed. "I'm trying," he said. "I don't know why you won't let me meet your mom."

I took my hand from his, standing slowly. "It's complicated," I said, walking into my kitchen, as if that would help me. Max followed, and I knew Lucas was watching from his place on the couch.

"But it doesn't make sense, lovely!" Max told me. "Don't you love me?"

I looked back at Max. "Of course I do," I said. "That doesn't change the fact that it's complicated."

Max frowned. "Sweet girl, all I wanna do is let your mother know the man who's practically living with her daughter," he said. "I want her to know I'm taking care of you, and treating you like I should, like you deserve."

I threw my hands in the air, feeling them grip my hair. "Max, there's more to it than I think you realize."

My boyfriend shook his head. "I don't care, baby," he told me. "I really don't."

I looked to Lucas, desperate for an out. "Please back me up here," I spoke. "Please tell me I'm not wrong in asking him to wait a little longer."

My best friend sighed, slowly standing and making his way into the kitchen. He shook his head at me, watching me brotherly. "I told you weeks ago," he said. "I told you. You and I both knew it was only a matter of time," he paused. "Sorry, sweetie. You're on your own, here."