Chapter Twenty: Ready

~ Your wish is my command, so I'll cancel my plans tonight... ~

Chapter Twenty: Ready

Charlotte smiled sweetly at me, hugging me tightly a couple days later at the airport. Max was sulking a little, knowing it was time to leave his parents. It had been a wonderful week, but Max and I had to get home. In all honesty though, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't upset to be leaving his wonderful family.

"It was beautiful meeting you, Symphony," Charlotte said. We'd already said goodbye to Dan back at the house, and even then Max wasn't in a very good mood. "You feel like a part of the family."

I grinned to myself. "Thank you, Momma Schneider," I whispered. Charlotte smiled, pulling me back and taking my face in her hands.

"Please take care of Max," she whispered quietly, asking me kindly. "He's our only child, and we just want him healthy and happy..."

I nodded a little. "I'll take care of him," I promised softly. Charlotte's expression relaxed, kissing my forehead in a motherly way and hugging me again.

"We'll see you soon, darling," she whispered, squeezing my shoulders.

I nodded, letting go and stepping back, watching Max slowly come forward. My heart hurt a little, watching Charlotte slowly console him.

"Come on now, darling," his mother began, offering her hand. "Don't be so begrudging."

Max slowly let out a very long breath, stepping against his mother and letting her hug him tightly. "I miss you already Mom," he whispered, closing his eyes. Charlotte sighed quietly.

"I know, Max," she murmured. "I miss you too, darling."

Max sniffled, and it occurred to me he was close to tears. "I love you," he told his mother. Charlotte smiled and pulled him away, holding his face in her hands.

"I love you too, Max," she told him gently. "Now you need to get going if your going to make your flight."

Max slowly nodded, hugging his mother one more time before grabbing his backpack. I grabbed mine and did the same, offering him my hand and giving him a tiny smile. He slowly returned the gesture, sliding his fingers through mine and bringing me to his side. We waved one last time to Charlotte, before slowly making our way through the security line.

We went through security in silence. Max was trying to be strong, but I felt him slowly slipping up, sniffling quietly as we made our way to our gate. I felt my heart ache, feeling his grip on my hand get tighter and tighter the longer he held it.

"Max," I whispered, feeling him let go of my hand as he realized he was squeezing so hard he was on the brink of hurting me. "Baby talk to me..."

Max tried his best to smile. "I'm okay, little dove," he whispered, slowly sitting down in a chair. "I just need a minute is all."

I slowly nodded, sweetly pulling my fingers through his curls before kissing his forehead. "I'm gonna go get us some coffee," I told him gently. Max shook his head, quickly standing and sitting me down in his chair.

"Oh, no, lovely," he spoke gently. "I'll do it. Just stay here, I'll be back in just a minute."

I slowly nodded, watching him reach in his back pocket for his wallet as he walked to the nearest Starbucks.

I sighed, leaning back and closing my eyes. My poor Max, I thought. I shook my head, letting the minutes tick by as I let him piece himself together.

"Here, baby," his voice caused me to open my eyes, watching him plop down next to me and press his warm lips against my cheek. He seemed much better, almost as if he was never upset, setting a cup of coffee in my hand. I lifted my head, looking at him and running my fingers up and down his arm.