Chapter Forty-Six: Reason

~ And all that you are is all that I'll ever need... So in love... ~

Chapter Forty-Six: Reason

"C'mere, my guardian angel."

"Max, you know I can't dance."

"So? Every couple is supposed to have the first dance after they get married... Besides, I'll put you on my toes like I did that one night on the roof."

I sighed slightly, letting him take my hand. There was a piano lobby in the hotel we were staying at, with someone playing constantly, so Max tipped the man to play something slow and pulled me close, bringing me to stand on his toes.

"It's almost two in the morning, Max," I spoke. "And we're in the lobby dancing."

Max chuckled. "Just one dance," he promised, intertwining our fingers as he brought them up to our sides. "After this, we can go up to the room and lay down."

I slowly nodded, setting my other hand on his shoulder as his found my waist. "Besides," he laughed. "How many times are we gonna get to dance as a newlywed couple?"

I snorted slightly, feeling him begin to move us. "Not many, if I can help it."

Max chuckled, slowly beginning to move us, carefully shifting us as I stood on his toes. He smiled, watching as my eyes met his.

"Would you try to dance with me?" he asked, his eyes hopeful. "Off my toes, I mean. I'll guide you, it's really easy."

I frowned at him. "I'll probably trip."

Max shook his head. "I'll catch you."

I sighed, slowly nodding. Max grinned as I slowly stepped off his toes, letting him squeeze my hand as I looked down at my feet. "Look up at me, angel," he beckoned. "It's a lot easier to dance when you're looking at me."

I snorted. "Maybe for you," I said. "But I have no coordination."

Max laughed. "Just watch me, little dove," he said. "Follow my steps."

He began guiding me, and I had to focus really hard to keep up with him. "This is a feat, I hope you know," I spoke. Max grinned, leaning forward and kissing my cheek as he brought be closer, his hand on my hip sliding around to my back.

"You're doing fine, baby," he promised, turning me in his grip. He pulled me back and started moving again, fluidly, pulling me with him and making me giggle quietly at the innocent feeling of it all.

"I'm gonna dip you now," he laughed. "Just don't let go, okay?"

I slowly nodded, feeling his grip around my waist tighten as he slowly dipped me back. I closed my eyes and almost smiled at the feeling of being totally supported by the love of my life, allowing him to sustain my weight and lay a soft kiss to my neck.

"C'mere," Max smiled as he pulled me back up, holding me against his body with both arms down around my waist. I giggled and wrapped mine around his neck, letting him slowly begin to sway my hips back and forth, a soft dance of love and happiness and sleepiness, feeling Max tracing lazy kissed lines through my long hair. I let out small bouts of tired laughter as he held me tightly.

"God, I love you," he whispered. I kissed his jaw, moving and hugging him, just hugging him, gripping him tightly.

"I love you too, baby," I murmured. "I really do."

He grinned. "I hope so," he laughed. "Considering we just got married."

Everything right now just made me smile. His entire presence, his being, his body, his love, it was like the glue that held every single piece of myself together, and it felt so good to be a part of this life like this.