Chapter Thirty-Eight: It Matters

~ If you love me, c'mon get involved... ~

Chapter Thirty-Eight: It Matters

"Baby, stop."

I shook my head, not ceasing the vibrating of my leg. Max frowned at me, setting his hand on my thigh and watching me, concerned.

"Calm down, okay?" Max whispered, kneeling in front of me. I shook my head again, avidly, sucking in an involuntary breath.

"I can't, Max," I told him. "I can't."

Max stood slowly, taking my face in one hand and my hand in the other. "Don't freak out," he murmured. "Take long, deep breaths, okay?"

I slowly nodded. In and out, I thought, making myself follow my boyfriend's instructions as he quietly sifted my face into his neck. "It's just a doctor, little dove," he whispered soothingly. "Nothing to be so scared about."

I frowned, shaking my head. "Baby, I don't think you're getting this," I told him, watching his soft movements. "I haven't been to a doctor's like this since my mother died. I. Am. Not. Okay."

Understanding dawned on Max's face, and he slowly nodded, sitting beside me. "I've got you, my angel," he murmured. "You're gonna be okay."

The door suddenly came open, and on instinct, I jumped towards Max. A kind nurse smiled at us, and I tried my hardest to smile back. The examination table beneath me suddenly felt shaky, though I knew it was only my mind playing with me.

"Good morning, Miss Andrews," she greeted me politely, watching as Max kept a hold on my arms. I smiled weakly again in greeting, trying to pay attention to her pink scrubs and white nurse's shoes, rather than what I was here for. Max frowned suddenly, looking over at her.

"Would you mind if I...?" Max trailed off, patting the spot beside me. She shook her head and smiled as Max gave her a small nod in thanks, hopping up and sitting beside me on the exam table. His arm fell around my waist, and I was comforted, letting him calm me as she came closer.

"I'm just gonna check your vitals..." she spoke. "That okay?"

I slowly nodded, letting her pull the back of my shirt up to hear my breathing. "Is this your support system?" she asked, nodding at Max. Max nodded in return, smiling softly at me.

"The best one I could ask for," I told her honestly. The nurse chuckled, checking my breathing quietly and my temperature next, then my blood pressure, taking all the necessary precautions and making sure I was healthy. When she was finished, she asked me basic health questions, how was my diet, when my last period was, etcetera.

"Alright," she said. "The doctor will be with you shortly."

Max and I nodded and thanked her, watching as she left the room. I felt suddenly so tired and so anxious, just wanting to get this thing over with to see what the doctor thought.

"You okay?" Max asked softly, his voice by my ear. I shrugged in response, letting out a long breath and sighing deeply.

"Am I?" I asked in response. Max didn't say anything to that, kissing my forehead swiftly and letting me rest my head on his shoulder as my hand fell over his thigh. His other hand held mine, his fingers warm and assuring, their slightly calloused touch familiar and soothing.

The door swing open again, and I tensed, watching an older woman with thick glasses walk in. She was thin and her black hair was graying slightly, her white coat sporting the colorful, embroidered title of 'Dr. Sarah Lanson'.

"Good morning, Miss Andrews," she greeted me, her voice predictably quiet and soft, as not to alarm me. "I'm Dr. Lanson."

I nodded and did my best to force a smile. "Good morning," I greeted, my voice still small and weak. She smiled again, and I felt better as she did so, her hazel eyes flickering over to Max, who was running his fingers up and down my arms.