Chapter Thirty-Nine: Outage

~ Coffee cups and rain falling from the ceiling ~

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Outage

"Well," Max sighed, sitting back. "It's official; you're sick."

I groaned, burying myself in my pillow and sighing quietly. Max slowly lowered himself to lay down beside me, propping himself up on his elbow as he stared down at me.

"I think I might have strep," I admitted. "My throat hurts really bad."

Max combed his fingers through my hair, pushing it back slightly and tilting his head to the side. "I'll call and get you scheduled to go to the doctor's."

I sighed. "Why can't I have one easy week?"

Max chuckled. "It's alright, little dove," he assured. "I'll take care of you."

I set my hand over his, squeezing his fingers softly. "I know you will, baby."

Max smiled, leaning down and kissing my hair. "You look so beautiful," he murmured, watching me. I rolled my eyes, lightly hitting his chest, causing him to laugh.

"What was that for?" he asked, grinning. I rolled my eyes again.

"I know damn well I look like hell," I stated. "Quit lying."

Max laughed again. "I'm not lying!"

I hit him again, rolling over so I wasn't facing him. He laughed happily, sitting up and moving closer to me, watching me sweetly. "I'm gonna go make you some cocoa, baby."

I nodded, sighing quietly. "Thank you, Max."

I felt Max shift off the bed, leaving me in our room. Mayella jumped up and curled into my stomach, letting out a content sigh as she settled, making me smile slightly as sleepiness wore on me. I was vaguely wondering where my kitty was, before I heard Max re-enter the room. "I have a stowaway," he laughed, watching me turn back over. I grinned softly as I saw Storm curled up around Max's neck, the same place he always sat with me, making me chuckle quietly as he sat down beside me. I sat up slowly, watching Max shift closer so Storm could transfer over to me, making me smile slightly as he handed me a cup of cocoa.

"Take these," Max spoke, sliding a couple of ibuprofen into my palm. I rolled my eyes at him. Ever since the night I almost offed myself, he'd been extremely careful to monitor all the pills I was allowed to take. Even when he left for work, he hid them from me, too afraid to leave me alone with enough of them to overdose on.

"Eventually, you have to trust me enough to let me get my own pills," I told him, taking them quickly and chasing them with cocoa. Max frowned, watching me and kissing my temple as Storm settled snugly into my neck.

"It isn't that I don't trust you," he told me. "I just don't know how this medicine is gonna affect you yet, and I want to be sure it isn't gonna make you worse before I give you full access to stuff like that."

I scoffed. "Plus the fact that you don't trust me."

Max rolled his eyes. "Symphony, I trust you with my life."

"But not with a bottle of pills."

Max sighed. "Please don't. Not while you're sick."

"Don't what, Max?"

My boyfriend watched me. "You're trying to pick a fight with me, and I think it's just your body adjusting to your medicine."

I scoffed again. "I'm not trying to pick anything, Max."

Max huffed quietly, shaking his head. "I'm not gonna fight with you," he told me simply, moving out of bed. "Have you taken your medicine today?"

I paused. "Why are you referring to it as 'my medicine'?" I questioned, suddenly annoyed. "Why can't you call it what it is? Depression medication."