Chapter 24: Kei Valancia

Black. Black was the only thing I could see. You never truly value something until you've lost it. These thoughts struck a distant memory in me and I was pulled back into my past self. The one who was lost and scared, the one who wandered the forest looking for something, anything to help. But even seven year old me knew that help wouldn't come. That sense of hopelessness struck me once again but anger quickly followed.

I was acting like a child, sitting here wallowing in self pity. Hell, some kids wouldn't be doing what I was doing at this moment. Sure, Ryker probably has no clue where I am and has no idea that I'm even alive. But I am and I know that he will look for me anyway. Just because he's a stubborn 2oo and something year old coot and also because he is my mate. Plus, I love him and if it were he that was kidnapped, of course I would bust my butt searching for him so hopefully my feelings will somehow reach him. I highly doubt it but a girl can dream, right? Sighing, I thumped my head against the mattress. I wonder how long I've been gone.

It's a curious thing, time that is. It's a force that is as powerful as the Goddess herself, maybe even more frightening. It's the enemy that I can never defeat. The years that I've been captive, Time was the biggest butt of all. It moved slowly, sluggishly as if I were moving in mud. However, the moments spent with Ryker flew by in a blur and I felt regret for acting the way I did. To be honest, I knew I wasn't the best person to hang out with but that didn't stop me from fixing my attitude. Does this make me a bad person? Probably. This was motivation enough to leave this place alive so I could put on my big girl pants and start acting like an adult.

Now you want to be good, Rei scoffed.

"Yeah well, being here gives me a lot to think about since it's so boring." I flipped over and buried my face into the mattress, but instantly regretted as the smell of mold and something like pee filled my nostrils. I jumped off of the bed and landed on my butt on the cold floor.

"You would think that I would be immune to such smells but that was just gross." I made a noise of disgust in the back of my throat. "It's terrible. I've become a big sissy."

There's nothing wrong with being one.

"No but I don't have time to be one." Standing, I brushed my clothes off, finally noticing that I was just dressed in a large shirt with the hem falling to my upper thighs, glad that I was dressed in underwear also. "I'm really losing it Rei." I groaned and paced the floor.

Calm down. Take a deep breath and relax. I stopped mid pace and closed my eyes. I followed her instructions and took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

You calm? I smiled.

"Calm as a cat on catnip. Thanks."

Ironic how you use a cat as an example. Dogs are supposed to hate cats you know, Rei pointed out.

"We are werewolves, Rei. It's different for us. Besides, that's just a myth."

Wolves are just glorified dogs you know.

"If that's the case, then we are higher than the average dog. Therefore, we do not have to hate cats." I started walking around again with less vigor, laying my hand against the wall and dragging it along as I walked. The bumpy surface was cold to the touch and it made me feel lonesome. Shaking my head, I continued on but about forty minutes of feeling every crevice and small mysterious holes, I could not find anything that would help me in escaping.

"Alright! We are royally screwed." I had just thrown my hands in the air in exasperation when the door squeaked open. Twirling around, I bent down in a slight crouch. I smelt the familiar scent of smoke and disease. Leon had paid another visit.