Chapter 26: Kei Valancia

Kei speaking with Ryker over the phone.
~~~~~~~~~

I was sitting against the wall, a dull ache running through my body.

Not now, stupid female hormones. Sighing, I clutched a small device in my hand as I replayed the memory from earlier today.

*****

"Take this." I looked at him with a supposedly guarded expression as he gripped my wrist and stuffed something rectangular and plastic in my hand.

"What exactly do you want me to do with this thing?" He chuckled to himself.

"I always forget. Here darling." He grabbed my hand and I instantly yanked it away.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, backing away.

"Now don't be like that. If you cooperate, I won't hurt your King. How does that sound?" He talked to me as if I were a puppy and he was offering a treat.

"What are you planning?" He chuckled and gripped my wrist once more. This time I didn't resist for fear that he may try to do something to Ryker. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I think Ryker can't handle himself. He's the Alpha King for Goddess sake but Leon Grayson was a man with many tricks. He opened the object and put my fingers on what felt like a flat surface with ridges.

"What is this thing?" Inside I was worried that it was some type of bomb or something.

"This my dear, is called a cellphone. Granted this one is rather outdated but it will work better for you in this situation." Yes, I knew what a cellphone was and how to use one but that didn't mean I did use it. Never really needed to.

"Do you feel this button here?" He dragged my fingers across the surface, a sudden burning sensation shooting up my arm. Gasping, I let go of the phone.

"What did you put on it?" I cradled my hand to my chest while the pain receded slowly.

"That was Black Roza. The plan my dear, is when you hear the phone go off, you will push that button and wait for me to answer."

"And if I don't?" He laughed lightly as he put the phone back into my hand, his footsteps echoing through the small room.

"May your King pray that you do, then."

*****

"Just what is he planning?" I mumbled, my mind hazy as the pain increased. Gripping my abdomen, I sucked in a ragged breath. A wave of heat rolled through my body and I writhed against the wall, the cool cement not bringing any relief at all.

It was only minutes but time once again slowed down to the feeling of hours. I almost cried in relief once the pain dulled down to a manageable throb. Sweating profusely, my hair stuck to the sides of my face and my forehead.

I'm so glad that Ryker isn't here to see this, I thought absentmindedly. But then I laughed maniacal laughter. I've finally lost it. Tiredly, I hung my head low.

As I was on the brink of sleep, a loud beeping noise cut through the silence. I whipped my head up sharply. Gripping the phone in my hand, I was frozen for one second before trying to flip it open with shaky fingers. It took a few tries as my fingers were slick with sweat and they slipped on the smooth surface. But I sighed quietly when I managed to get it open.

Gritting my teeth, I began sweeping my fingers across the buttons until I felt pain lace my hand. Cursing loudly, I pushed the button and pulled away quickly. Holding the phone, I gingerly put it to my ear.