Chapter 27: Kei Valancia

I gasped and shot up, unseeing. Gripping my chest, my heart pounded like a thunderstorm and I tried to calm down. It has almost been a month since I was captured, a month away from Ryker. And it hurts, everything in me does. My heart throbs every day; Rei hardly even speaks to me anymore and Leon still comes to pay a visit. Hugging my knees to my chest, I curled in on myself.

"You know if life gave me lemons, I would squeeze the juice into Leon's eyes so they would burn and I would take that time to stab him with the dullest, dirtiest knife in the world," I muttered. Of course me muttering gruesome images of Leon's death was now a frequent thing and it seemed to be the only thing that kept me sane. I lifted my hand and scratched the spot where he bit trying to get Ryker's mark off. I remember clearly as if it had happened yesterday when his canines sank into the soft flesh of my neck, the pain that stiffened my muscles was the worst that I had ever experienced. To be honest, I would rather go into Heat for a year then feel that pain again. But one good thing I found out, no matter how long Leon tried, Ryker's mark never went away to the dismay of Leon.

"Goddess, I swear if I don't get my happy ending at the end of this sick, twisted yellow brick road then I'm going on a rampage. I'm serious." I sat up slowly and looked pointedly up. All alone in the dark really screws with your brain you know. I've never really got to experience being 'blind' in the sense where it's all black but now that I've been living with it for a month, it's a real eye opener. I snorted to myself.

I see you still have your sense of humor, I jumped, startled to hear Rei's voice. I sat crossed legged and dug my fingers into the mattress.

"If I don't have that, then what will be left of me?" I replied back with emptiness.

I didn't say that it was a bad thing. I'm just surprised you still have the energy to crack jokes. I smiled brokenly.

"Yeah well, sitting in this hellish room for almost a month makes a person go stir crazy you know."

I suppose so.

I sighed heavily before standing up. I was careful not to bump the tray of food which consisted of dry chicken and broth with water. Not bad, it could be worse. Pacing, I ran a hand through my oily hair. I was surprised to find out that Leon would actually let me take a shower but he stopped letting me a week ago. Now I'm gross and feel like a slimy fish.

Why am I worrying about being stinky? Only because it diverts my worries from my biggest one: Ryker. I knew his mark was still there, and I knew that our bond was still intact. I couldn't mind link him or feel whatever he was feeling but I knew he was alive. That's all that mattered to me at this point. Actually, the bond seemed rather strong today. Usually I barely noticed it, but today it felt as if the connection was stronger and I felt myself drift to the door.

Something is off, Rei said, guarded.

"Something is." I pressed my ear against the door trying to hear anything but came up empty. Huffing, I took a few steps back and just as I did the door screeched on its hinges and I was barely able to move further in the room in time as it let out a loud snap. It was silent for a second before it seem to land on the floor just foot away from me. I stood in the middle of the room and my mind went blank.

What am I supposed to do in this situation?

Run? Rei offered. I felt my noodly limbs and felt that if anything, I might as well try. Taking a step forward, I prepared myself to make a mad dash but instead was tackled into a hard body. I stiffened in surprise and made a move to thrash around but was stopped by a rumbling voice.

"Kei," his voice cracked on my name and tears instantly flooded my eyes. His familiar warmth flushed into me and the connection between us crackled with energy.

"Ryker? I swear if you're a mirage I'm going to punch you." His chest rumbled with his laugh.

"I promise I'm not. I'll even prove it." He didn't give me time to react as he bent down and kissed me. That was what did it for me, the feeling of his soft lips on mine insistent yet gentle. Reaching up and wrapping my arms around his neck, I let the tears fall down my cheeks as I returned it with just as much passion. When we finally pulled away, we were both breathless.

"You're so freaking amazing, you know that right?" I murmured. His hand trailed down my face softly.

"Only for you." I smiled and then realized about my hygiene. Pulling back, I raised my hands in a defensive manner.

"Now that's settled, it's best to stay away for a bit. I'm rather potent to the nostrils at this moment." I could practically see him roll his eyes at me.

"Lune, I could care less about your hygiene. I haven't seen you in a month, I think your body aroma is the least of our problems." I pursed my lips and nodded.

"I guess you're right. By the way, how did you find me?" I didn't fight him as he wrapped an arm around my waist and began pulling me along.

"There was a note sent to me. It didn't have any signature to it and no one saw who dropped it off. It spoke of an old run down building with a cellar and there would I find my mate." He laughed dryly. "So you can imagine how I sent everybody on a wild goose chase searching for a building fitting this description."

"Well whoever tipped you off, I'm glad. Now that I think about it, where's Leon?" I didn't need my powers to feel his mood darken.

"He wasn't here when we came. No one was actually." I stiffened and quickened my pace.

"That does not sound good at all." He agreed. With the help of Ryker, he guided me through a dank space, his words about a cellar coming to mind. What seemed like ages did we ascend steps. I counted five steps before I felt him move and a door creak open above us.

"Come." He held my hand and I followed, feeling suddenly dizzy. Funny, since I can't even see. As we reached what seemed like the top, I stumbled. Ryker managed to catch me before I face planted, wrapping one arm underneath my legs while he used the other to cradle me close to his chest.

"Kei, are you alright?" I felt my best friend called Pain make an appearance. She plunged her dagger through my being, ripping my insides to shreds. I let out a muffled groan as it felt like pain itself flowed through my limbs. "Kei!" I hardly noticed that I was thrashing against him and he cursed.

"Kei! Please, tell me whats wrong." I distinctly heard other footsteps pound closer to us but I ignored it all. Gripping onto his shirt, I pulled myself closer to his face painfully.

"Its starting," I managed to rasp, my conscious waning.

"What is?" I felt my grip loosening and my hand dangled in the air.

"My birthday.... My powers are supposed to come or some crap like that." I clutched my chest as it felt like my heart was about to burst. "Yet... I don't... Pain..." My words came in a stuttering mess, making me almost incoherent.

"Don't worry, we're going to get you help. Everybody let's go!" He barked out and I felt him hold me tighter as he began to run.

"Don't worry... I'll be..." I never finished as I couldn't seem to form the words to finish the sentence. The last thing I heard was the desperate cry of Ryker calling my name.