Chapter 28: Ryker Dare

I sat besides the bed with my head hung low. With Kei's limp hand in mine, I brushed my lips across her palm. A day had passed since we rescued Kei from the abandoned house, a day since I've last seen her awake.

"Please wake up," I whispered, stroking her hair. Her dark lashes brushed her cheeks and her lips were tilted down in a small frown. Her usual creamy skin was paler then usual and I felt my control over my emotions crack each time that I looked at her.

"Alpha." I didn't look away from her sleeping face as Clark entered the room. "There's a man here. Says that you would know who he was."

"I don't care. Tell him I'm busy."

"Yeah because staring at Kei's face like a creep is very time consuming." I jerked my head and saw the Draven man standing in the doorway. He smirked but I noticed the dark bags underneath his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" Instead of sounding annoyed, my voice came out tired. Clark took this as a sign to leave and left the two of us alone with my unconscious mate.

"What do you think I'm doing? I'm here to see her." His eyes drifted over to Kei. I growled quietly automatically before sending him a glare. Draven saw this and rolled his eyes. Strolling over, he sat on her opposite side. He reached over to grab her hand but once he saw my withering glare he seemed to decide against it.

"You know, even if you don't believe me Kei is like a sister to me. Though, you should have seen the time when we very first met." He chuckled to himself. "If you think she's bad now, she was horrible when she first began living with us. I remember it clearly when I introduced myself. She only stared at me blankly and would sometimes growl at me spontaneously. It was rather a frightening sight actually," he chuckled darkly. "But I knew that she didn't mean to. It was all a gut reaction that she had automatically did."

"Why are you telling me this?" He shrugged.

"Maybe because you're her mate? I don't know. But during your last visit, I noticed how much happier she looked and that's all I really want for her." As he said the next part he stared right at me. "So if you do anything that hurts Kei, Alpha King or not I'm going to hunt you down and kill you."

I didn't say anything but stare at him. I knew he was telling the truth by the way he clenched his hands and the determined look in his eye. His body language was tense and if he was lying then he deserved an Oscar. I smirked.

"I'll hold you to it then," and that was all I said for the rest of his visit. We sat together in silence, looking at Kei or getting lost in our own thoughts.

She seemed so tame and innocent when we first met her, Axel mused.

We were completely wrong to think that.

Yeah, we were. It was quiet for a moment. Wait, did you see her hand twitch? I didn't but I directed my gaze towards her still fingers. We waited and I squeezed her hand gently. I held my breath and it seemed like days until I felt her, a gentle squeeze back. I straightened and leaned closer, forgetting that Draven was even here.

"Kei? Can you hear me?" This time, what I saw next excited me even more. Her eyes were fluttering erratically like a scared butterfly. "Come on Lune, come back."

Finally after another tense filled moment, her eyes finally opened fully. Slowly she lifted her gaze to me, and for one hopeful moment did I think that she actually saw me.

"Ryker?" I wanted to cry in relief but I didn't. Instead I brushed a lock of her hair behind her ear.

"It's me." I noticed that her grip in my hand tightened and she smiled. However it soon faded. "What's wrong?"

"I can't see." Draven and I looked at each other.

"What do you mean?"

"I can't see anything at all. No auras or anything like that. Rei seems pretty quiet too." She began to sound worried. "She's not answering me at all." Concern was beginning to lodge in my gut.

"Maybe she's still asleep?" This came from Draven. Kei tilted her face in his direction.

"Draven?" He smiled softly at her.

"Of course. You didn't think that I wouldn't come visit you right?" She smiled brightly at him and I had to cage in my jealousy pretty damn quickly or else I would do something that I would regret later.

"Well I'm glad that you made it." She became silent with her thoughts for a moment and I took this chance to marvel at her. Her eyes were still bright and changed from red to green, their brilliance breathtaking. I noticed that her skin seemed to be more flushed and less pale.

"How long have I been asleep?" she asked, getting me out of my daze.

"A day." She pursed her lips.

"My birthday is tomorrow."

"Happy birthday?" Draven said it as a question. She shook her head.

"No not like that. Leon made it sound like I would get all of my powers on my birthday but I don't know. It sounds farfetched especially right now when I can't use any of my usual power." I had to grit my teeth from the surge of anger at the mention of Leon Grayson.

"Let's say you do. There's nothing that he can do because let's face it, you could kick his ass." Kei chuckled at Draven's statement.

"I guess so. However I would like to find him." Her whole persona became dark, her eyes glittering dangerously.

"Kei, what exactly happened to you?" Her expression became pained.

"A lot of things but I don't think this is the right time to say." Her eyes were downcast and I knew whatever happened to her, it wasn't good. I clenched my jaw and stayed silent. I looked up however as Draven stood up abruptly.

"I'm sorry to leave so suddenly but my parents need me back." Kei shot him a worried glance.

"What's wrong?" Draven heaved a sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

"There seems that there was another rogue attack."

"Is it still going on?" she asked. He nodded grimly before saying, "Yes."

"Take some of my men. They should help get rid of the majority." Draven stared at me for a long moment, his expression blank but then he laughed dryly.

"I don't know how I feel about you yet but thanks." I didn't say anything as he turned to leave, stopping in the doorway. "I'll see you later Kei, Alpha." And he was gone.

Clark.

Yes Alpha.

Accompany Draven to his pack. There seemed to be another rogue attack and I want you to help. Take some men with you, I closed the mind link but looked down as Kei groaned.

"Tell me what's wrong."

"Pain. Everywhere." She sucked in a deep breath. "It sucks." She managed a shaky smile. I felt so helpless. The pack doctor was gone taking care of other pack members and no one else here was certified to help her.

"I'm sleepy," she mumbled. I gripped her hand tighter.

"Kei, don't go to sleep." I begged, and I never beg.

"Don't worry. I'll wake up soon," and she dozed off to a deep sleep once again. The sense of defeat was overwhelming but I knew I would wait forever.

She was my forever.