VI.

May 23rd 2000.
New York, New York.

Jordan and I sat on our living room couches relaxing in our pajamas after yet another long work week. It was nearly midnight and I was practically nodding off whilst Jordan flicked through the television channels, deciding on MTV news. "Oi wake up! They're talking about your boyfriend" Jordan animatedly announced. Yes, I had told Jordan that me and Marshall were seeing each other after I was confirmed as his new tour manager. Not surprisingly she took it a hell of a lot better than Amy and thankfully didn't make a big scene of it. She did however get excited at the prospect of double dates with her and Mike, but I had to politely turn her down. I couldn't see either Marshall or me enjoying that.

I peeled my tired eyes open to pay attention to what the reporter was saying. "Today Eminem released his highly anticipated album the 'Marshall Mathers LP'. You can pick it up now in your local music store or any Kmart. Eminem skyrocketed into the spotlight last year with his hit single 'My Name Is' from the 'Slim Shady LP'. He is set to head on tour with rap legends Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre next month as a part of the 'Up in Smoke Tour'. Make sure to tune in tomorrow morning for a brief review of the new album by our very own resident hip-hop expert".

"Fuck" slowly I sat up from my position and furiously blinked attempting to wake myself up.

"What?"

"I totally forgot that was today, I haven't congratulated him yet. Fuck! Where's my phone?" I scrambled around the couch feeling between the cushions for it.

"Coffee table". I got my hands on it and straight away began to dial his number. "It's not that big of a deal Cassie".

"Yeah but we've also hardly talked all week, it looks like I'm ignoring him on purpose. God, I'm so shit at this dating thing".

"You've only just started dating! Chill out, there aren't really any expectations yet. He's probably been too busy to notice anyway" Jordan pointed out.

"Doubt it".

I exited the lounge to call him in privacy and nervously tapped my foot as I waited for him to pick up. "Hello?" Marshall shouted into the receiver, as more of a statement than a question.

"Marshall?"

"Who is this?" Marshall slurred, he sounded wasted. He still spoke loudly, trying to talk over the loud background noise.

I chortled at the fact that he was so far gone he couldn't even read his cellphone to see it was me, obviously he was enjoying himself. "It's Cassie. Where are you?"

"Oh Cassie!"

"Is that Cassie?" someone that I recognized as Proof hollered in the background. "Let me talk to her! Cassie!" the reception became muffled and I could hear a light struggle when it seemed like Proof was trying to grab the phone out of Marshall's grip.

"No man, let me talk to my girl". Had he said that to my face, he would of seen me blushing like a maniac.

"Marshall I just called to say congratulations on the release".

"We're at the release party now!" he spoke so loudly into the phone that I had to pull it away from my ear just so I wouldn't go deaf.

"Ah that makes sense. Well I better let you get back to your party, go have fun". I heard Jordan switch off the television in the lounge and shuffle into our bathroom.

"But, I want to talk to you" Marshall said in an almost whine, a tone I could never imagine him using if he was sober.

"Marshall you're too drunk".