XXV.

February 21st 2000.
Los Angeles, California.
Detroit, Michigan. 

*Chapter inspired by:  The Weeknd and Ed Sheeran- Dark Times*

Warning: Domestic Abuse. I am in NO way, shape or form romanticizing or normalizing it. I am simply shedding light on a situation that is more personal to me than you may think.

Please vote and comment :)

"I don't know what happened man" I heard Marshall distantly murmur. "She just ran out?"

"Yeah, I turned and she was gone" Proof sighed.

My heavy eyelids slowly opened, revealing a stark white room, the smell of 'cleanliness' almost over bearing. It was bright. Too bright compared to the darkness I had been in securely swimming in for the last...hour? day? Who knows. The sight of an IV sticking in my arm made me groan and shudder uncomfortably. What was going on?

I jumped at the sight of a woman pulling open the curtain that surrounded me. "Oh good, you're awake. I was just coming to check in on you".

I stared at her for a moment, wondering if I knew her and I'd just forgotten who she was. "Check on me?"

"Oh I'm sorry. You probably have no clue what's going. My names Dr. Kapoor, you were admitted to this hospital a couple of hours ago after you unexpectedly fainted".

"I fainted?"

"You don't remember?" she asked, pushing her dark hair behind her ear and jotting down some notes on her clipboard.

"Uhm...No. The last thing I remember was..." I trailed off, staring through the gap in the curtain into the waiting room, where Marshall had his head in his hands, Proof leaning down to talk to him.

"Was?"

I shook my head, cringing as it pounded, immediately reaching up to hold it. I hissed at the feel, coming in contact with a bandage. "It doesn't matter".

Dr. Kapoor sighed as she placed her clipboard down and moved around to sit on the chair near my bed. "After you fainted, you hit your head and your brain went into what we like to call a 'stress coma'. Basically you're brain was trying to protect you from experiencing any further emotional trauma, by falling asleep". I nodded, trying to take in everything she was saying. "However, since as I wasn't there, some of the important details are missing. As your Doctor, it's vital that I know exactly what happened. That's the only way I can help you". I dropped my eyes, not willing to divulge in the details. "That man that came in with you, is he your boyfriend?"

"Yes".

"He told me that you two were fighting and that you fainted, hitting your head on the concrete as you went down. Is that true?"

I nodded. "I had a panic attack".

"Ahh. Would you be able to tell me what you believe brought it on?" I hesitated again, picking at my nails. "Ms Rosario, as I genuinely care for your well being and want to help you, I must ask this; "Have you experienced any domestic abuse from your partner?" she asked, eyebrows tightly knitted together.

"No".

"Is that the truth Ms Rosario?" she persisted.

I nodded and harshly clamped down on my lip to distract myself from the tears behind my eyes, the coppery taste of blood stung my mouth. "The panic attack was because I thought he was going to hit me, not because he actually did" her eyes flared but she quickly masked it. "Please don't be worried and report this or something, I know he wouldn't hit me, it was all in my head".