X.

June 12th 2000.
Detroit, Michigan.
Chula Vista, California.

They were both absolutely adorable. Big toothless smiles and wide expectant eyes with hair messily pulled into ponytails, they stood close together in front of Marshall. Just looking at them made me feel so far out of my depth, especially with Marshall watching on curiously. I wringed my hands nervously unsure of what to do.

"Alaina, Hailie. This is Cassie". Silence. "Go on, say hello" Marshall nudged them on their shoulders to introduce themselves.

"Hi" they both mumbled simultaneously their youthful smiles never faltering. They were nervous too, which helped to settle my own.

"Hi. Nice to meet you both" I greeted in the friendliest, least intimidating voice I could muster.

"Nice to meet you" Alaina spoke up, taking the lead for her younger sister.

I pointed to Hallie's t-shirt in an attempt to break the ice, "I like your t-shirt. Tweety Bird is my favorite".

"Me too!" her eyes shot up from the carpet to me with excitement. "Alaina likes Daffy the best".

"Daffy is way better than Tweety" Alaina argued.

"Uh-uh".

"Uh-huh!"

"Tweety is-"

"Girls knock it off. The Tasmanian Devil is the best. Go put your things in your rooms and then you can come watch cartoons if you want" Marshall gave them both a noogie ruffling up their already messy hair. They ran away quickly up the stairs at the promise of cartoons, their little backpacks bouncing up and down on their backs.

"Man, they are always fucking bickering at the moment" he shook his head in annoyance.

"They are really cute".

"Most of the time" he grumbled. "That went alright though, didn't it? Told you that they'd act the same as usual, you know arguing and all that".

"Mhmm" was all I said not entirely agreeing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next two hours or so we watched cartoons, well half watched. Marshall kept sneaking in little kisses here and there when the girls weren't looking. "You girls hungry?" Marshall asked realizing it was lunchtime.

"Yes!" they chimed.

"Can we get pizza please?" Alaina pleaded with innocent eyes.

"Nope. We have food in the house. Aye, quit that pouting".

"I'll make you girls some lunch" I offered, directing it towards Marshall to see if it was okay.

"See? Cassie will make you food" they nodded meekly then turned their attention back to the cartoon. "Thank you baby" Marshall mouthed to me so the girls wouldn't hear. Which caused me to think, what did the girls know about us? Did they think I was a friend or his girlfriend? Had he already told them about us? As I thought about where I stood in the family dynamic I scanned the kitchen for any child-friendly food. What the fuck do they like to eat? Sandwiches? I could do sandwiches. I prepared them each a little plate of food and brought it out to the table the noise of the plastic plate tapping on the wood grabbing Marshall's attention.

"Girls, come get your lunch".

They eagerly scoffed down their lunch whilst they told me all about their school and friends. After lunch we spent the rest of the day outside playing games with the girls. I couldn't get over how much energy they had running around non-stop with balls and playing tag. Meanwhile, I sat on the grass laughing and watching on as Marshall chased them around the yard.