XX.

January 12th 2001.
Puerto, Plata.
New York, New York.

"Okay. No more excuses Cass, tonight is the night!" Nicole burst into my room shouting excitably. (

"Nicole, I told you to knock!" I sighed setting down my book. "What are you talking about anyway?"

"You and me are going out tonight so you can get your freak on" she grinned as she danced around, twerking to the imaginary music. Lord, this child.

"I don't really feel like it" I fibbed.

"No, come on! I've waited for ages, you have to".

It was true she had waited a long time, I'd been putting it off for as long as possible. I was an expert at coming up with excuses; "It's too close to Christmas", "I'm tired from New Years still", "I don't feel well" etc.  Nicole knew something was up, I think she even knew I was dating someone. She was at the point where she was trying to force it out of me. I felt bad for lying to her over and over again, but not bad enough to tell her the truth. I grimaced at her and stood up, already looking through my clothes for an outfit. "Fine. Only for a few hours though" she squealed with excitement. "But, if I see you hooking up with anyone I will leave straight away. I have to keep my image of you pure".

"No promises!" She laughed as she ran away. "We leave at 9.00!"

*****

Of course Nicole had to take us to the busiest, most popular club in my town. It was absolutely seething with people but somehow we managed to grab two seats at the bar and successfully order our drinks. The club wasn't much, but it was filled with good people and good music. Plus, everything looked better in the dark. The bright neon lights flashed around us, illuminating everyone, actually putting me in the clubbing mood. However, my nerves were still through the roof at the thought of meeting someone that wanted to hook up. All I had to do was play it cool and get through this night as quickly as possible. Nicole clinked her drink against mine and I downed it in one movement, coughing on the harsh liquor. "Cassie you're going to be on the floor if you drink that quickly" she laughed, sipping on her own drink much slower.

"That's the plan" I muttered under my breath. She looked at me suspiciously but shrugged it off and turned around to the club.

"Mateo said he would meet us at the bar soon" she called over her shoulder to me.

"Who the hell is Mateo?" The bartender brought over another vodka and red bull and again I drank it straight away. I signaled to him to bring me one more.

"Your man for the night". Nicole turned around and grinned at me just as the bartender cleared all of my glasses.

"Great".

She side eyed me and cocked her head to the side, "You sure nothing's up-".

Before she could continue her interrogation we heard a loud "Nicole!" and a man approached us. So this  was Mateo, and boy was he hot. The type of hot that makes the breath in your throat hitch and renders you incapable of forming proper sentences. His captivating hazel eyes landed on me and sent shivers down my core, and when I saw the twinkle in them I nearly lost it.

"Mateo, this is my sister Cassie".

"Hello beautiful" he grinned at me, and I giggled girlishly in return, hiding my mouth behind my hand. I giggled in return?! This alcohol was catching up on me faster than I intended.

"Hi" I dreamily replied.

"So I guess I'll see you two later on, or not" Nicole chuckled, dismissing herself. She ran over to a group of girls I guess she knew in the other corner of the club.