VII.

May 25th 2000.
New York, New York.

Marshall had left my apartment a few hours ago to go to the TRL studios and film for the show. I had declined his offer to join him from fear of looking unprofessional on my part. I know it sounded ridiculous, but I wasn't sure how his management or my boss would react to our personal relationship. TRL was due to come on any minute and I excitedly waited on the couch for Marshall's face to appear on the television screen.

"Morning!" Jordan emerged from her bedroom mid yawn.

"Morning Jords".

She plopped down on the couch next to me. "Where's lover boy? Has he left already?" she peered around the room.

"Huh?"

"You weren't that quiet Cassie" she frankly put, cheekily smiling at me.

"Oh my god. We did try to be quiet! Sorry" I apologized.

"No biggie. So where is he now?"

"TRL, he'll be on any minute" I nodded towards the television.

"Why aren't you there with him?"

"Didn't feel like going" I shrugged.

"You love TRL! I know for a fact you have a crush on Carson Daly. I will never understand you Cassie" a hint of disapproval in her voice.

I ignored her comment, "Oh here he is!" we turned our attention to Carson.

"Welcome back to the show! I'm here now joined by the one and only Eminem! How's it going man?" The camera panned to Marshall and the two exchanged a friendly handshake.

"Yeah I'm good dawg, busy but good". I could tell from his body language and voice that he was nervous, similar to how he was at the press conference.

"So your album came out a couple days ago and it's already having massive success, especially with your new single 'The Real Slim Shady'. Are you planning to do a video for it? We'd all like to see one wouldn't we?" he spoke to the crowd and earned a loud cheer and round of applause from them.

"We're planning do to a video for-". That's when I drowned out his voice as something caught my attention as he raised his hand to scratch the back of his neck. Was I imaging things or did I really see what I thought I did?

"Is that a fucking wedding ring?" I hissed through my teeth as I leapt off the couch and crouched in front of the television, getting a closer view.

"Where?"

"On Marshall's hand!" I snapped at her, feeling anger beginning to bubble in me. The expression plastered on Jordan face was all the conformation I needed. She knew just as well as I did that was indeed a wedding ring. "That motherfucker!" I roared.

"Cassie, try to calm down". Jordan knew better than anyone else that I had an awful temper, and once I was angry, there was no telling how far I would go. I whipped out my cellphone and hurriedly text Paul that I was on the way to the studio, not caring that the message was full of typos from my shaking hands.

"I need you to drive me to MTV, straight away". Without hesitation Jordan agreed and followed me as we headed down to her car, with me practically begging her to drive there as fast as she could. My phone buzzed as I received a reply from Paul, "I'm sending Proof down to meet you, wait in the reception area". I didn't dare respond, fearing that whatever words I could muster up would be deemed as rude. My fingers tapped impatiently against the window, as we drove too slow for my liking. We could not get to the studio quick enough. "What are you going to do?" Jordan turned into a familiar street and I knew we were only mere minutes away.