Chapter 1

Phil's POV
-
"Phil?" He called for me from the kitchen. "I need your help."
I walked out of my room and he was there. I yelled, "God damn it, Daniel! Don't scare me like that!"
"You're so cute when you're mad!" He teased as he removed the Robert Pattinson mask I got him for Christmas in 2010. I smacked him and walked back to my computer, where I was editing a video.
"Phil...?"
I turned to my roommate, standing in my doorway. "What?"
"I got you a present."
"It's not my birthday. Or Christmas."
"I know..... I saw this while I was in town and I.... I instantly thought of you." He walked towards me and sat on my bed. "It's a cactus."
"A bloody cactus?" I laughed. Dan had never liked my house plants "addiction" before, yet now he bought me one.
Dan handed it to me and smiled as he saw me look at it. I turned it around in my hands as I read the small engraving on the pot: "To Phil... You're a turnip."
"How sweet of you." I chuckled. I set the cactus down on my desk and returned to editing. My video was almost done and ready to upload when I realized Dan was still next to me.
"Yes?" I said to him. "Is something wrong?"
"Erm. No. Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to see what you wanted to do for dinner." He stuttered.
"We can have whatever."
"Okay. I'll go see what we have." He walked out of my room and I turned back to my computer after watching him leave. "That was strange...."
-
"Ah bloody hell!" I heard Dan yell from the kitchen after a loud clash. I ran in to see him sitting on the floor in the fetal position, his head hidden in his knees.
"Dan?"
"I'm sorry Phil."
"For what? You did nothing wro-"
"No! I did. I did." He started to cry. "It's hard to explain. I'm such a failure. I dropped out of law school and now my Internet fame is only where it is now because of you."
"He's so upset... Did I do something to make him feel this way?"
"Dan.... You're special. Don't put yourself down like this." I whispered in his ear, as if someone else could hear me. He looked at me, close to him, and his eyes dried up.
"Now what were you trying to make?" I chuckled.
"I have no bloody clue. You're the Delia Smith between us." He smiled at me. "I love that smile... What's wrong with me? I'm straight. He knows I'm straight. He's straight, too..."
Dan pulled himself up and picked up the pan that fell to the floor. I grabbed a paper towel and helped him clean up the mess. As I stretched to the floor to clean, our hands touched. I quickly pulled away and felt my heart skip.