Chapter 9

Dan's POV
~~~one month later~~~
-
I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock beeping, annoyingly. I rolled out of bed, and wandered into the kitchen.
"Good morning, baby." I felt his lips press against my neck.
"Why hello. What got you up so early?"
"I wanted to cook breakfast. I know your family is having their annual holiday gathering today, and I know you haven't come out to them completely." He wrapped his arms around my neck. "I thought this would help you relax."
"Relaxing is not going to it."
"Danny, your mum wouldn't like that."
I slumped down on the sofa. "I know... I just don't want to do this alone.." I grabbed his hand.
"I'm stronger when I'm with you. I only came out to Chris and Pj because you were with me. I felt confident.... You can say the same."
"I do." He kissed me and pulled me close. "Do you want me to come with you?"
"I'd love that." I smiled.
"Your family will wonder."
"I'll be able to tell them....with you by my side." I kissed him forcefully. He left his shirt off when he woke, making it easier for me to kiss his warm chest.
-
Phil's POV
-
I put on my best clothes and straightened my hair.
"Dan?"
"I'm in here."
I heard him sniffle, so I walked into his room.
"Dan...baby..." He was sitting in the corner, in the fetal position, nervously shaking.
"I'm so scared... My parents are going to hate this. I never told them when I came out as bi to a friend in school..."
I pulled his head into my shoulder and whispered softly, "No matter what happens, I will always love you. Your family will understand."
We kissed and I helped Dan to his feet and he got ready.
That's when we heard a knock on the door.
"That's probably my mum." Dan coughed. His voice was rattling from crying.
"Do you want me to get it for you?"
"Please."
I kissed him and walked to the door.
"Hello Mrs Howell!" I greeted Dan's mother.
"Why Phil, you look handsome!"
"He'll be joining us today." Dan walked out of the bathroom after fixing his hair.
"Oh?"
"Yeah...erm.." He stuttered.
"Is he okay?" His mum turned to me, worried.
"Can you give us a moment?" I asked.
"Of course, dear."
I led Dan into the bedroom.
"Baby, are you okay?"
"I need to do this now. It's a two hour drive. Being in the car, for two hours, with our relationship being unknown to her..." He started rambling, so I pulled him close and kissed him.
"Relax... I love you."
"I love you, too."
We walked out and Dan's mum asked if he was okay.
"Yes, I'm okay. Mum, can we actually talk?"
"Of course, it's a two hour drive. There's plenty of time."
"No, I mean now."
"Oh?" She looked at me and I nodded.
"It can't wait." I lead them to the lounge where we all sat down. Dan was breathing heavily, his heart pounding in his chest.
"Do you want me to...?" I hinted.
"If you want.." He choked back his nerves.
"Mrs Howell... Has it ever occurred to you how some people are different than others?"
"In what way, exactly?"
"Different as in.... With whom they are intimate." Dan looked at me.
"I don't understand... Are you..?"
"Mrs Howell, I'm gay."
"Well, I'm happy for you.... But what does this have to do with my son?"
Dan kissed me passionately.
"I see now..." She got quiet and stood up.
"Mum..." Dan started to cry. "I'm sorry..." He got up and laid a hand on her shoulder. She turned towards him and gave him a hug.
"I still love you. Dry your tears, Danny."
We left the apartment and started our journey to the family gathering.