20

"My sons," Splinter says as I stand next to him, and the four turtles stand in a square facing each other. "You are truly becoming impressive warriors. But to fight as a team, you must know each other's strengths and weaknesses."

They take out their weapons confidently, all except Mikey, who burps. I hold in a laugh (which is so mature). Yeah, the youngest turtle can be utterly gross sometimes.

Splinter instructed me to sit this one out, that the turtles would have this themselves, which I obey without hesitation.

"This is a free for all," Splinter says. "Last turtle standing wins. Hajime!"

Donnie is still dazed out at Mikey's gross burp, so Raphael gets him first. Leonardo is going against Mikey, who is laughing at Donnie. My eyes meet with Leonardo's and he smiles confidently yet cozily for a split second, and blocks Raphael.

"What are you doing?" Raphael says. "I was going after Mikey!"

"What part of last turtle standing don't you understand?" Leonardo kicks Raphael back and leg-swipes Mikey making him fall flat on his shell.

"Beware your distraction, Michelangelo," Splinter says. "Misdirection and distraction are the ninja's most powerful tools."

While Splinter isn't looking, Mikey mimmicks him. When Sensei notices, though, he grins innocently and sits down next to me.

Raph and Leonardo face each other.

"Looks like you made it to the boss fight," Raphael teases.

"I'm gonna wipe that smirk off your face," Leonardo says. "Permanently."

The two run towards each other, but Leonardo is able to force Raphael to let go of both of his Sai by throwing them away. Raph runs toward the tree where one of them landed and Leonardo chases him the other way around. Then, he surprises Raph by kneeing him in the head sending him flying a couple meters back, and now Raph ends up on the ground.

"Looks like Leo won this one!" Donnie says.

Leonardo kneels in front of Splinter in respect, and glances over at me. I smile at him, and he looks away smiling too.

A growl calls my attention. It's Raphael, losing his temper.

"Uh-oh!" Mikey says. "You've awakened the beast!"

Next thing you know, Raphael gets up and charges at Leonardo kicking him hard, and sending him back (well, front, in Leonardo's perspective). He lies on the ground without moving.

"Leonardo?!" I yell when I don't see him moving and crouch down next to him. I help him sit up and support his back by placing one hand on his shell and the other on his shoulder. Donnie takes his left arm and Mikey takes the right one.

"Raphael!" Splinter scolds the brawler. "We have talked about this time and again. Anger is a dangerous ally and you must not let it control you!"

"I wasn't angry!" Raphael denies. "I was just- determined to win!"

"You hurt one of your brothers, Raphael," Splinter says. 

"But I told you I wasn't angry!" Raphael insists, and his eyes land on my hand on Leonardo's shoulder. He scoffs and throws his Sai on the ground, and leaves the Dojo angrily.

****

I sit on the wooden stairs right next to the living room, the ones that lead to the surface, checking out maps of Kraang facilities that I downloaded into my T-Phone from Donnie's computer. It's been a long while since we've so much as spotted a Kraang, and I've had no sign of my dad, not even when we rescued Mr. O'Neil.