30

New York is no longer safe.

Everything we had there: our life, our lair, our tranquility... It vanished on the day of the invasion.

The Kraang invaded the Earth with a lot more forces than they had the last year. Portals were all around the city, and many people were mutated. Including April's dad.

I got a connection with Kraang Prime, where he revealed some pretty nasty things. From the look of it, it sounded like he wanted me to be mutated.

The invasion led to a huge battle for us. Raphael and Casey caught up with April and Donnie and Mikey at their apartment after having fought separately. Leonardo and I went a different way...

...and I couldn't help him. That is something I don't know if I'll be able to forgive myself for.

Despite my efforts I was restrained by Tiger Claw. Leonardo, as bravely as he fought against the mutants, was severely wounded in the hands of Shredder. Right now, he's resting. But he hasn't woken up.

And I found out that our Sensei, Master Splinter, is also gone. This, too, happened because of Shredder.

That was three months ago. Now, were at April's house upstate. It's her, the turtles, Casey, my dad and I. Here, at least, we can catch our breath.

****

I sit next to the bathtub where Leonardo was placed so that he'd stay hydrated. Raphael is with me too; both of us have been watching over our leader.

Our leader... my Leonardo. Right after getting here we cleaned his wounds and it looks like his bruises are gone. But other than that, he's out.

Raph sighs. "How did this happen?"

"I wish I had at least done something," I say, without removing my eyes from Leonardo.

"You can't keep beating yourself up about it," he says. "You did what you could."

I sigh, then look over at Raphael. He looks worried, as much as he has been for the past months.

"Do you think he'll ever wake up?" He asks.

"He has to," I reply. "We're lost without him." I take Leonardo's hand. "I'm... lost without him."

Raphael rests his elbows on his knees and bows down in despair.

"But..." he says. "Moving on is easy, right?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You moved on easily," he looks at my hand holding Leonardo's.

"It wasn't easy," I say. "Do you know how many times I..."

"You... what?"

"I missed you."

Raph stays silent looking at the ground. "I miss you too."

"Besides you said it was alright," I say.

"That doesn't mean it didn't hurt once in a while," he says. "Anyway that... doesn't matter. I'm sorry."

I just look at Leonardo for a long while. There is no one I love more than him. After a while I can't take it anymore. Seeing him like this is heartbreaking; I need a distraction.

"I'll be back," I tell Raph and leave the bathroom. Down at the yard of the farmhouse, April and the others are training, so I go down there. My dad sits at the porch watching them when I go stand next to him.

"No sign?" He asks.

"No," I reply.

My dad puts a hand on my shoulder. By now I'm dressed normally, no longer with the turtle outfit. Although this feels more different.