Chapter 21-

Many different thoughts are running through my mind and I can't pick which thought I should go after. Running after Aiden and apologizing for everything and nothing? Crying even harder, even though I know it is no time for that? Or going with Reece?

In the end I decide to get over my crying fit and do something useful. I need to be strong for Nancy. Her life is way more important than my feelings.

I use my sleeve to wipe my tears away and order Reece to tell me what happened.

"Well, I told my mother about that girl yesterday and this morning she sent some people to her house or home, howsoever you want to call it," he explains as we walk out of school.

I know that it is not right to skip classes, but this is an emergency. Albeit we are still careful when we walk outside, making sure that nobody notices us leaving. And with Reece's power it is an easy task. He will hear it if somebody approaches us.

"But when they arrived she was nowhere to be found and her room was empty. Everything was gone."

"Maybe they went to the wrong apartment," I try to come up with a good reason. But Reece shakes his head immediately.

"Impossible. Afterwards I went back to the apartment to take another look. It was like there never was a girl in the first place," he explains and I grit my teeth in frustration.

How is this even possible. She wasn't a hallucination and was the only clue we had. Now that she is gone there is nothing left. I'm getting worked up about the situation, though I'm not the only one. Reece is running his fingers through his hair, messing it all up. There is also the scowl attached to his face. This is our fault and he knows it as well.

"It's our fault. Isn't it?" I whisper. Reece doesn't complain and that is answer enough.

"Yeah, but we didn't know. Who would have guessed that she would run away the first she sees us," he answers, as he opens the car door for me.

"I know, I know," I reply and nod my head at his gesture in acknowledgment.

"What are the two of you doing?" A voice suddenly calls out to us.

Both Reece and I immediately turn our heads. Reece didn't mention that somebody was coming closer, so I guess he didn't notice. However when I see the face I sigh in annoyance. Not because I dislike him, but because he frightened me there for a second.

"Eric. Are you out of your mind? You scared the shit out of me," I snap, but immediately regret my choice words. 

Eric's surprised expression shows me that I went too far and I apologize. I'm not like this and there is no reason for me to be mean towards him. He is not at fault for my bad mood.

"Sorry for snapping at you," I tell, but he waves my words away and forgives me instantly. That is what I appreciate about him.

"You don't have to apologize for anything to him," Reece says satisfied with my previous words.

I know he doesn't like Eric, but it is not the time to show that. It is obvious enough when his sister is involved. Also Eric is my partner and actually a nice and caring guy.

Eric the guy he is, just ignores Reece comment. Then in a more serious tone he asks, "So what happened? Why are you two ditching your classes?"

"That's none of your business," Reece tells him and I elbow him hard.

"Ouch," he whines, though this time I just cross my arms. He deserved that one, especially because he left me in the mall yesterday.

"We will tell you later, but right now we need to hurry. Sorry," I say, and he nods in understanding.