Chapter 22-

As I wake up, I'm drenched in sweat and my head feels like somebody has hit me hard.

Why do I keep on having these dreams? For years I haven't dreamed about my mother. But these last few weeks it happened more frequently. And it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even though the dreams are the opposite of a nightmare. 

I look at my wrist and suddenly remember her last words. They don't make much sense and I blame the stress I keep on having these past few days.

My aunt brings me back into reality as she knocks on my door and slowly peaks her head into my room.

"Hey, I see you are awake now," she says and there is her motherly smile on her lips. "How are you feeling?"

It tells me that she must have heard me crying.

"Better," I answer.

"Maybe you just needed a good sleep," Lily says and with that she leaves me alone to make us breakfast. 

I appreciate the fact that she doesn't force me to tell her what happened. And maybe she is right. My body lacks sleep. I can't even remember the last time I slept for such a long period. 

After a few more minutes lying in my blankets, I crawl out of my bed and get ready. I have plans for today or to be specific it is Kitty's birthday and everyone will meet at four at the M.E. Though there is another place I have to go to before I attend her birthday. It is Aiden's place. I want to make up to him and give him some answers. He is my best friend and I can't live with the fact that there is a chance of losing him. I need him. We swore that we will never break apart and I don't want to start breaking our promise.

So after breakfast I tell my aunt, where I'm off to and go to Aiden's house. 

When I'm in front of his door, though I still feel nervous. My hands begin to sweat and my breathing quickens. 

What if he doesn't hear me out? I hurt him more than once and only the thought gnaws at my heart.

Nevertheless my hand pushes the doorbell and the familiar sound rings in my ear. A few seconds later I hear footsteps approaching and when Aiden's mother opens the door, I can only smile. It is always nice to see the lovely woman.

Her eyes beam at the sight of me and she shoos me inside. We talk for a bit, until she tells me that my best friend is in his room. I take that as a good sign. He hasn't told her anything so far.

Though as I climb up the stairs to Aiden's room, my palms get sweaty again.

In front of his door I hesitate. But then I take all of my courage and knock twice. Not even a second later, Aiden opens the door. Our eyes meet and I can see the surprise.

He winks me inside with his hand and I follow his invitation. Like always his room is a big mess. Clothes are on the ground, books pile up on his desk and the only clean space is his bed. I smile, when I notice his chaos. Some things never change. And when we make again eye contact I see that a fight will not change our friendship.

Aiden is definitely still angry at me. But in life there are always harder times and I make sure that he is a part of my future. With that on my mind, I pour out my heart.

"I'm so sorry Aiden and please let me finish this, before you say anything. I know I haven't been a good best friend the last few weeks. I was always too busy to spend time with you. But I'm so sorry for that. It is kind of complicated to tell you, because my secret involves other people and I can't tell you about them. But I want you to know about mine." 

I'm breathing heavily as I wait for a reaction. My best friend raises his brows, but says nothing. He waits for me to continue and I start telling him about my secret. I tell him a bit about the M.E and what really happened to Nancy. I don't mention any names, but I clarify why I didn't tell him sooner. He gets enough information to understand, though I don't reveal the secrets of Reece, Kitty and Eric.