thirty-eight

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

To say that the Aquilos were mentally and psychically exhausted after the dive into their subconsciousness was an understatement. It had drained all of their energy to let the witches magically assault them when tailoring their memories.

Things only took a turn for the worse when Alaric Saltzman regained consciousness. He was furious when he found his students in the one place in the entire school that he had forbidden them to enter. Deja vu hit like a truck, it was just like the time Doctor Saltzman had caught the Mikaelson girl and her boyfriend with the Necromancer — both times ended with the headmaster scolding his students before sending them up to their rooms while he cleaned up the mess left behind.

The group of teenagers may have been sent to their dorms to go to bed just in time for curfew just like everyone else in the school but that didn't mean that they all went to sleep, some had more of a rough time trying to get some rest than others.

It was just before dawn when Adrian finally gave up on trying to sleep. Hope had fallen asleep the moment her head hit the pillow, but her boyfriend had spent all night tossing and turning, his mind and heart burdened with thoughts of both Olivia and his parents.

Disentangling himself from the sheets, he slowly slipped out of bed and put his jeans and sweater on before he left his sleeping girlfriend and disappeared out into the hallway.

The werewolf made his way out into the forest in the back acres of the school and followed a trail until he got down to the Salvatore Lake where he planted himself on the edge of the dock.

Adrian fiddled with a packet of newly purchased cigarettes before he shoved his hand into his back pocket and retrieved his lighter. He wasn't addicted to smoking but often relied on nicotine to take away his problems even if it is temporary — though it should be noted that it does not take away problems but rather might have a calming effect.

He put the cigarette in his mouth and lit the end before inhaling, letting the nicotine do what it did best so he could have a break for the first time in what felt like forever.

"You're gonna end up smoking yourself into the next life,"

The alpha sighed and withdrew the cigarette from his mouth. He loved his friends, but they were always there when he wanted to be alone with his thoughts, and none of his friends were as persistent as Owen.

Normally, Adrian would have appreciated how caring his friends could be, he liked that they didn't stop caring even if he could be an asshole towards them but considering recent events as well as upcoming plans that had already been set in motion, he needed to detach himself from his friends as soon as possible before everyone left for spring break.

"Then again, that's probably why you're smoking, isn't it? 'Death's more alluring than life' and all that"

The cigarette was ripped out of the werewolf's hand when he brought it back to his mouth as soon as his roommate sat down beside him. Owen took a long drag before he spoke, "I heard Doctor Saltzman ripped you a new one"