Blue Butterfly

Evelyn’s POV

          I don’t know how I did it but I held him down. After Nathaniel slammed the door I felt Rudy try releasing my hand to run after him. I grabbed him back keeping both my hands tightly and securely on his arm to make sure he couldn’t move. He pulled and tried to get away from me without hurting me by pushing me down but it didn’t work. He gave up after he heard a car drive off so, I released his arm. Turning away from me he ran to our room and slammed the door. Rudy was mad.

          I sat on the couch trying to take in what had just happened. I had never liked my birthday and this was one of the reasons why. There was always something bad happening, not one year did I have a perfectly peaceful and nice birthday. I guess I should have gotten used to it by now, but I just turned 17, I thought something here would change!

          I lay down on the couch and looked to the floor. The present that Nathaniel had given me was on the floor. Getting up I tardily walked to it and picked it up. I felt like throwing it in the trash right then and there but somewhere in my mind I was curious to see what the gift was. It was a small box, fitting in my palm. I decided that I would take it up with me to the room, maybe even show it to Rudy to let him see what he wanted to do it with…or I might just…maybe…keep it.

          I shook away the thoughts of hiding it from Rudy and I began my walk up the stairs. When I got to the door I waited outside the room making sure he wasn’t breaking anything. Once I knew the coast was clear I opened the door and stomped in. Rudy was on the floor, on the other side of the bed. He was sitting so that his face was comfortably put on his knees with his hands placed on the top of his head. I took my seat next to him sitting in the same position but keeping my head up and wrapping my arms around my knees.

          “Rudy, it’s not healthy to keep it bottled up.” I began gently.

          He doesn’t respond instead he just lifted his head up and turned to me. I looked into his eyes for a second before his head droppeed back into his knees.

          “Come on, don’t be like that.” I gave him a gentle push but got no response.

          “I guess I will just have to leave then.” I said testing him.

          There was still no response. “Here I go, bye have fun Rudy.” I said and watched him in astonishment as he didn’t move a muscle.

          “Ugh! Fine.” There was a small space between his arm, which was holding up his head, and his thigh. I slipped my head through it and he slowly backed his head away from me. He put his legs down gently so that he wouldn’t make me dizzy in the process. One of my arms extended to the other side of his leg (on the ground) so I could balance myself up. I kept my arm there trapping him to make sure that he didn’t leave and inched a bit closer pulling up my body towards him.

          “Why exactly are you still here?” Rudy asked. I was not expecting that response.

          My face turned to a frown, “What do you mean?”

          “You heard the guy, why aren’t you running after him?”

          “I don’t know, maybe because I don’t like him!”

          “Evelyn you can’t expect me to believe that he just fell for you, without you leading him on….or even liking him at all.”

          “Yes, I do expect you to believe that because it’s the truth.” I sat up in front of him changing my position completely and inching a little more away from his face.