Earthquake

Evelyn’s POV

          Nathaniel slowly walked into the room and looked from me to Rudy. Confusion rushed through my body. Neither of us knew what he was doing here. How did he find out so fast? What was he going to say? How could he even come back after what he said? I looked at Rudy who had a blank expression. I hated that I couldn’t read his emotions right now.

          “Are you okay…?” Nathaniel began.

          “What does it look like to you?” Rudy replied raising one eye brow.

          Nathaniel nodded his head and put it down to the ground. He looked to me opening his mouth but then just closed his mouth back up and looked back to Rudy. “What happened?”

          “My sickness got the best of me.” Rudy replied staring back at Nathaniel. Again Nathaniel dropped his eyes back to the floor. He made his way closer to Rudy and raised his head again to look at him.

          “Are you made at me?”

          I saw Rudy’s expression change from plain to questioning. I didn’t exactly understand what was going through his head.

          “I…do you even remember what you did!?” I could see Rudy try hard not to yell. It wasn’t that hard sense he didn’t have the strength it took to do it anyway.

          “I remember.” Nathaniel replied bluntly, “but, you have to understand that I’m an idiot Rudy. I don’t even understand what it was myself.”

          “How could you…it just doesn’t make sense?” Rudy said between his teeth. I could see his face turn red with anger and Nathaniel just stayed calm.

          “I don’t know Rudy okay. But the part about caring about you…that was true. I will always ask about you. And I will make sure that you are all right because that’s what we are. I am your friend. I know I went overboard with Evelyn and I am…” he took a deep breath then continued, “sorry.”

          I stood there waiting for Rudy’s response. He stayed quiet though. After some time of silence he nodded his head in my direction and replied to Nathaniel, “She forgave you.”

          “What!?” I said jumping into the conversation.

          “His present you are wearing it, which obviously means you forgave him.” Rudy answered me. I could feel my face burning. My hand subconsciously rose to my neck and I saw Rudy’s face falls. “I knew it.” He murmured.

          “How did you…I….but…you need to…” I was cut off by Rudy before I could finish my sentence….or words I was trying to put together.

          “Just stop.” He kept his eyes away from mine and looked back at Nathaniel. “I guess you won her over, are you happy now?” I could see the pain in Rudy’s face and all I wanted to do at that moment was run up to him and hug him, but I knew better than that.

          “I don’t want her Rudy. And I know that she doesn’t want me either. She wore the necklace to show our friendship. I guess she did forgive me…or maybe she didn’t. Maybe she just likes the color of it. Either way I gave that necklace to her as an apology.” It didn’t seem to me as though Rudy believed him.

          “Whatever.” He dismissed him with his hand and looked away from the both of us.

          “Rudy, we have known each other for a while now. I made a mistake. You have to forgive me.”