Collapsed

Evelyn’s POV

          I went to bed that night with constant thoughts of Nathaniel. I put the necklace on because I did like it and it was a very pretty blue. I woke up and found Rudy sleeping next to me. He had a rough day yesterday. I wondered how long he had been looking for me. I kissed him gently on his cheek; then get up and headed to the shower. I left the necklace on the nightstand by my side of the bed and got to the bathroom.

          When I come out I found Rudy awake. He had the necklace in his hand and he was looking at me questioningly.

          “Is this your necklace?” he gave me a look and I froze in my spot. Play it cool I thought.

          “Yes, it’s mine. Now can I have it back?” I smiled at him and he handed it to me.

          “It’s really pretty who got it for you. Why do I not remember seeing you wear it before?”

          “Well my sister bought it for me when I was younger. I have had it in my closet this whole time but I barely took it out yesterday and put it on. “I was being partly truthful with him.

          “Oh well it’s really nice.” He nodded his head at me then headed to the bathroom. I continued to towel dry my hair and brushed it to the side like always. Making my way down the stairs I sensed the welcoming aromas from the kitchen. Not long after Rudy rushed downstairs and we both sat down for breakfast. He seems to be acting a bit odd today. Something just wasn’t the same about him.

          Pushing my chair closer to his when I was done I tilted my head and stared at him until he looked up. His greenish bluish eyes smiled at me.

          “Yes…” he said hesitantly.

          “Can’t a girl watch you pick at your food?” I asked innocently.

          “I guess.” Rudy sighed then smiled and kissed the top of my nose.

          “What are you going to do today?” I asked him.

          “I actually wanted to talk to you about that.” He began, “I want to go back to school.”

          “Why? I thought you already graduated high school.” I stood up from my seat.

          “I did relax,” he said softly, “I meant college…you know universities and stuff. The thing that comes after high school...” He held my hand forced me to sit back down.

          “Oh.” I said looking off to the blank wall. “What are you going to study to be?”

          “I am not sure yet, but something in the medical field.” He said.

          “Mmmm.” I replied looking down to the floor.

          “I wanted to know if you wanted to go back to school too?” he said bringing back my attention.

          “Really!?” I responded almost jumping out of my seat.

          “Yes why not!” Rudy laughed. “I am going to go to UCLA. I applied for both of us and we are accepted.” He smiled at me and I jumped into his arms.

          “I can’t believe you applied for me at the best school ever! I have always wanted to go there and…wait how did you do all this?”

          “It’s a long story and it took a lot of work. It was supposed to be your birthday present, but I didn’t exactly have the time to tell you about it.” He said as I released my body from his arms.