Chapter 35

10 Years Ago continued;

Bolt sat on the bed beside Akiko. He had been locked up in isolation with her since he moved her into her own room. Although being locked up without their powers, it had some positives as they had time to get to know each other a little better each day. Across the hall held the room where the newferns from their room had been relocated to. It was crowded in there and the room was no bigger than the one Akiko and Bolt were in. With Eville's recent turn, Greene and Ryder agreed to release some newferns back onto the main floors of Fernbrooke to allow more newferns to be captured. After housing some of them in there for at least the week Eville was in Distortion, they picked certain people to be given their own quarters. Ryder opened the door to the isolation chamber across the hall from Bolt and Akiko, pulling out the last newfern to be relocated to the main floor. He restrained Nancy, who had seen a few of her newest companions, including Malcolm be relocated upstairs. They never took any chances with those being released as they might take the chance to attack and run.  However, Nancy was genuinely happy to be removed from the isolation chamber that felt so crowded and stuffy. Once she was relocated to her room, she was free to move around the few open rooms in the compound under heavy watch. Upon entry she was given blue scrubs and walking up to the one cupboard in the room, she could see that there were only blue scrubs available. She let down a sigh and sat on the bed, taking a few moments alone to cry out her frustration. She was worried for her children, worried about her husband and what these people could do. Only a few weeks ago she was approached by Eville and his crew, and now she had to move among them. She wanted out but she knew there was no easy way out. She moved in the small bathroom in the room and washed her face, cleaning away the tears. As she moved out of the bathroom, Nancy could see a small red light flashing in the corner of the room. A camera was staring back at her and she knew she was being watched.

Feeling uncomfortable in her room, Nancy could see the late afternoon sun pooling in and walked out of room. She moved through the hallway and could see an outdoor area. Having been locked up all this time, she was drawn to the sight of sun and grass and moved outside. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath in feeling the warmth of the sun on her skin. "Nancy?" she heard a familiar voice say. She opened her eyes and could see Malcolm. She saw he was one of the first to be pulled out of isolation but she didn't expect to see him again. "You had the same idea as me, it's so much nicer out here then in there," she nodded, as he guided her to sit where he was a park table situated in the enclosed area. He reaches out for her hand, "I don't want to be here anymore. Just seeing the outside makes me want to see my children," She recalled Malcolm sharing with her what his ability was. They hadn't been able to even bother thinking about them while in isolation, "Why can't you just teleport out of here?" Nancy asks Malcolm as he looks down. He felt sad that he could help this woman. They had discussed the love she had for her children and how worried she was. Last thing Nancy wanted to see where both her children thrown in Fernbrooke with her, but she needed to get out to make sure she knew they were safe. Malcolm sighed, "I'm not strong enough to fight their shield here," He hadn't had a chance to regain his strength or even get a moment to lie down in a bed to himself. Every night for the past few weeks he slept upright with Nancy leaning against him. It was a comfort in the situation he was in that gave him the strength to keep going. "We have to find a way out of here," she says, just as a guard steps into the court, "Come on in everyone," she looked back to see him and Malcolm let go of her hand. He didn't want to cause any suspicion and have either of them removed from the main areas or worse, thrown back into isolation. "We'll talk tomorrow," He farewelled, feeling annoyed he couldn't hug her or make sure she was going to be okay through the night. The only positive in isolation was Malcolm was able to have Nancy in his arms. He didn't realize how fond he had grown for her until she was escorted back to her room.