Chapter 39

Back in Present day;

Nick laid in his bed for the rest of the day. He was so confused after what Nancy had explain to him about Luna. They had such an amazing connection, he couldn't understand why she would talk to Nancy about breaking it off with him. Nick didn't want to believe that his mum would lie to him, but it was even harder to believe what she said as the truth. It was hard for him to sleep with his mind racing so much. He tried to use his abilities to see if he could hear for Luna but all he could hear was Nancy's, "I hate doing this to him. It's not fair that I have to be the one, but its for his own protection," He stopped listening, realizing what she was saying must've been true. He had never been rejected before, and never in such a way that he developed strong feelings and then being told it wasn't reciprocated. He rolled over, putting his face in his pillow and hoping he would just fall asleep that way.

Downstairs, Nancy and Malcolm ate a light dinner. They didn't bother to grab Nick and Nancy wasn't ready to put on a brave face and continue on with the deception. She was quieter than usual and Malcolm looked at her across the table. She could feel his eyes on her and looked up quickly, catching them and holding her gaze with his. He half smiled and reached his hand out across the table with his palm facing upwards. Nancy put her modest hand in Malcolm's and he gave her dear smile. "It'll be okay, it'll all work out," She put the fork down on her plate with her free hand. "I just can't let him go through what we went through.. we were trapped, we had to witness death. People like Chase had to die so we could get out. I want to protect my son Malcolm," He squeezed her hand, "You don't have to justify it to me Nance, I know why you are doing this. I just wish it wouldn't give you so much stress," She put her hands to her head and rubbed her temples, "I just get so stressed out. I worry about Nicky as well, I haven't seen her either. But she's older, she away from all of this. Nick's my baby boy. I still remember holding him in my arms to get him to go to sleep at night," she gushed, remembering the joy of his sweet, innocence face sleeping in her arms. "I wish we were in a different place so we could...." Malcolm trailed over and Nancy looked up at him a little shocked, "What? Have kids?" He shrugged and nodded, "I kinda wanted to be a Dad someday," She let out a little chuckle, "In this world? Eville would just come in and sweep him up no doubt," Malcolm dropped the subject and stood up, taking away the plates and cleaning up. Nancy sipped the last of her glass of wine that Malcolm poured for her and left the table. She slipped her arm under his and he walked her to bed.

It wasn't such an easy night for Nick to get to sleep as he had hoped. Lying face down only made it more difficult for him to breathe as he was used to sleeping on his back, so he just sat up in his bed instead. He looked around the room, hoping for something to distract him but nothing was catching his eye. He realized he didn't even have a single photo of Luna, even just to relish the time they did have. They were intimate that long, but the deep bond was undeniable to him. The more he thought about it, the more annoyed he was getting that Luna would just walk away without confronting Nick. Even just their last interaction was so loving when they were waiting in the Main Chambers foyer for Nancy and Malcolm. He decided that he wasn't going to sit and contemplate anymore, he was going to find out what was going on. Nick opened his bedroom door and could see the house was dark with the lights turned off. He quickly put a black hoodie on and his shoes back on, moving as silently as possible down the stairs to not alert Malcolm or Nancy. He looked around the house, realizing it was so silent and unlocked the front door. He turned the doorknob and held it, sliding through the gap of the door and closing it as quietly as possible. It must've been just after midnight as there was hardly anyone about in the street. There was a fog in the air, so Nick put up his hoodie over his head and quickly moved down the street heading for the Main Chambers. For some reason, although he was told it was Luna's doing, he felt the need to be hidden.