Chapter 27

10 Years Ago.

Dr. Reflex walked out of the nurses office after given the OK that he was fine. But he didn't feel fine, he felt sad that in an instant for him, he lost the last ten years of his life. Scarlet Fox's death seemed still as real to him as it did beforehand. He couldn't see Sarah as he walked back towards the front entry. The receptionist was busy on the phone when he walked into the main foyer. He didn't bother to go speak to Sarah or Payton as he was still getting his head around the 10 years he had lost. Reflex walked outside of the main chambers, he could see the town had built up with some new buildings looking newer than they did 10 years ago. He could see more people moving throughout town as he reached the front steps. He moved to a nearby bench and took a seat, needing a moment alone to take it all in. He wasn't even sure if he even still had an apartment to go home to, and with all the questions of what had occurred, it felt a little overwhelming to him. He sat on the couch and woman walking by with a bag of groceries in a brown paper bag looked at him. He caught her eye and she smiled back at him, and lost her footing a little, dropping the grocery bag to the floor. He immediately was taken back by her natural beauty, with her hair down and flowing in the slighty breeze. "Oh no," she said softly as she felt the bag hit the ground. A few cans fell out and one rolled near Reflex's foot, he used his flexibility to stretch out his shoe to stop it from rolling. He looked down at the can of garden peas and picked it up, he walked over to another can and grabbed it off the ground. "S-Sorry," she said, feeling like a bit of a klutz as she had dropped her bag. He helped her pick it back up, "It's okay," he said with a smile, having the moment to distract him was a relief he didn't realize he needed. "Let me help you," he said as he watched her struggle with the shopping. "Oh you don't have to..." before she finished, he was already reaching for the bag and taking it from her. She obliged, feeling grateful for the assistance. "I'm.. Chris," he greeted, preferring to introduce himself by his real name. "I'm Brooke," she replied, a big smile coming across her face as they walk side by side. "My apartment isn't far," she pointed in the direction she was walking and he followed her lead. He held tightly only to the torn paper bag as he walked but felt like he recognized her face. "Do I know you?" he asked, unable to pinpoint where he had seen her before. Her face dropped, "Yeah, I've only been here for a few months. I was at... Fernbrooke.." she stopped, recalling the rigorous and stressful treatment she received there and if anyone knew Fernbrooke, they weren't too happy to be reminded. He realized that she was the tracker Eville was keeping captive to help locate people. "How did you...?" She looked up at him, and he finished, "escape," she half smiled, "Have you been there before?" she questioned, not recognizing Dr. Reflex, even though they never had spent some time together during his tenor at Fernbrooke. He nodded slowly and she noticed his face dropped. "I was brought here," he turned to her, "Brought here?" They both turned a corner and she replied, "Yeah, Elder Drake," He tilted his head, confused by the title Drake was given as he last recalled he wasn't an Elder when he left. "How did he...?" he trailed off as she stopped at the front door step of her apartment.  "Come on," she gestured, walking into the apartments. Reflex followed her up a flight of stairs and into her apartment, it was quaint and similar to Reflex's old apartment. He placed the shopping on the kitchen bench and Brooke began to unpack her groceries. "Can I get you a tea or a coffee?" She offered, and he was surprised by her pleasant nature. "Hmm, If you're offering, I'll happily have some tea please," moving to her small table and taking a seat. He watched as she busily put shopping away while getting the kettle ready to boil. He admired how she knew her way around the kitchen and waited patiently to sit down with Brooke. A part of him was apprehensive, knowing that he was involved in the capture of Brooke at Fernbrooke Facility. Perhaps without the white lab coat, it wasn't so easy for her to recognized who he used to be. 

She leaned over the table, placing a hot cup of tea before Reflex and sat down opposite him with her own. He could feel the tightening of his chest and it dawned on him that he needed to explain himself. He didn't want to start this new possible friendship without the truth being told. "Brooke.. I..."  She put out her hand in a stop motion as she took a sip of her tea, unable to speak until she finished. Reflex waited patiently until she spoke, curious why she would stop him. "I know who you are," He felt his pulse increase as he began to worry at what she would say next. "But you're not that man you once were," she reached over and placed her hand on top of his, his eyes stared back into hers and darted from one to the other. He could see she was sincere, and genuinely not affected. "But how did you..?" She cut him off, "I know straight away... Dr. Reflex," she said his name in a playful tone and he looked down, pulling his hand away from hers. "No, no, it's okay. Chris," hearing his actual first name compelled him to look up at her and he could see the smile across her face. "If you're here, you're not with them anymore. I know the Elders would know that," He half-smiled, still feeling guilty. "I.." he began but she interjected, "It doesn't matter what has been done, let's just see what happens from here," His smile widened, partially because he felt the alleviation of worry, but also due to the graceful woman in front of him smiling back at him. He felt his confidence slipping and he nervously broke eye contact, looking down at his tea and taking a sip of it. "Where are you staying?" she queried. He shrugged his shoulders in response, placing the tea cup back down on the plate. "I kind of... just.. got back," he said, not really sure himself. "Oh.." she replied, "Well you're more than welcome to crash on my couch if you'd like," she pointed to the small lounge room beside the kitchen, the couch  looked comfy enough and he nodded, appreciative to have any assistance as he tries to regain sense of the time line he now was in. Brooke didn't push Reflex on where he had been. After the events at Fernbrooke, she just wanted to move forward and spend some time regaining her life back, even if it was in Distortion but she was happy to have found someone other than an elder to talk to.