Chapter 37

10 Years ago;

Eville was furious after Malcolm and Nancy were able to use Sarah's master key to return to Distortion. His intentions were to use that at some point down the track after he healed completely and gained enough abilities to defeat Payton and all the other Elders. He hadn't made it down to Sarah since returning to Fernbrooke to take it from her. Dr. Greene was kind enough to relocate some of the belongings she left at Fernbrooke into a suitcase down into the room she was staying in for her sake, in the event she woke up. But it wasn't looking promising. Eville walked back through the hallway, it was late at night and everyone was locked up. He was feeling frustrated and didn't know how to suppress his anger. As he stormed the halls, he could hear someone running up behind him. "Sir are you okay?" It was Ryder and he was quick to check up on Eville. "I'm not happy," "We should-" Eville stopped and turned to him, "We should what? We can't go back there, We can't even get there. I recognized that face, that was Malcolm Goode, the teleporter you brought in here. I can't even take his power! We are stuck here! AGAIN!" He couldn't help but raise his voice, yelling at Ryder who willingly took the verbal abuse. He was used to it in the military from his superiors and didn't even flinch at it. He just stood at attention, listening to Eville. "I'm sorry we couldn't resolve the situation, sir," Eville's top lip raised as if he was snarling dog, about to attack. He just turned on the ball of his feet, stomping off back to his quarters. He threw the entry to his bedroom open and slammed it closed behind him. Within a few minutes it reopened again and Apollo walked in his pyjamas. "Father?" he said, rubbing his sleepy eyes. Eville threw his hand in his direction, throwing Apollo through the door. He smashed it into pieces and fell on the floor unconscious. Eville moved into his bathroom and decided to have a shower. He stood over his basin and washed his face. He took a few deep breaths, trying to calm himself down. He never knew anger like he did losing two people to Distortion. It was always a race between the Elders and Fernbrooke to collect more people with abilities, but this was different. They escaped from Fernbrooke, which only the Elders and Eville managed to do before. He unbuttoned his shirt, taking his shirt off slowly, feeling pain in his chest from the swift action of his hand. He suddenly was washed over with regret of hurting Apollo and walked to the door, opening it and could see half his body was still lying on the floor. The guards mustn't have picked up the action as they were too busy cleaning up the mess down in the basement. He walked over and moved through the opening of his bedroom door. He looked down at Apollo. His innocent 10 year old face facing him with his eyes closed due to being knocked out. Eville reached down, and even with his rib pain, he picked up Apollo using his own strength, not an ability. He moved him back to his room, kicking open his partially opened door with his foot and placing him on the bed. He lifted the blankets back and tucked Apollo's feet underneath the sheets. He reached over and put his hand on either side of his head, using energy to drain Apollo's ability. He stopped within a few moments and touched Apollo's hand, returning his health back to normal. He opened his eyes slowly and looked up at Eville, "Father?" he whispered surprised, having never seen Eville sitting beside him. Eville nodded. "Go back to sleep son," he said lovingly. He felt compassion for Apollo and in that moment, he showed his softer side that had only been viewed by Sarah previously. Apollo, still not feeling 100% closed his eyes as Eville reached over, putting the blankets over him. He tucked his hand back underneath the blanket and left the room, closing the door behind him. Eville looked at the door shattered in the hallway as the doors to their quarters opened and Ryder appeared. "Get this cleaned up and replaced," he said, pointing to his bedroom door. "Yes sir," Ryder replied, leaving the area to advise some men to assist. Eville walked back into his room and through to his bathroom, closing the door behind him. He looked at himself in the mirror, and a part of him felt that his actions with Apollo were amiable, regardless if he caused the issues. He removed his compression bandages slowly, revealing his more yellow toned bruises and stepped into the shower. Allowing the hot water to roll down his toned back as he thought about what had recently unfolded.