Chapter 24

Payton slammed the door shut. He turned to Sarah who was standing beside him, "What are you doing?" He smiled back at her, "Oh nothing," she furrowed her eyebrows, "Payton..." She said in a stern tone, and look around the the room. "Where's Celestia?" She questioned. He walked passed her, "She's gone," he walked towards the door and Sarah stopped him, reaching for his arm and he turned around, "Where are they?" He sighed, "They must've gotten a key off Ken," she raised her head sharply in confusion, "Wait? What? Did you see them?" she looked back at the door, noticing the black ash on the floor from one of his keys. "I saw Eville," Payton replied just as the Nurse walked in with her medical bag, "Where are they?" she questioned Sarah and Payton, referring to Reck and Celestia. "They are gone," Sarah replied, letting go of Payton who walks out of the room. The nurse walked over to the bed, seeing the sheets still wet from Celestia's water breaking. "Where are they?" The nurse asked again, turning to Sarah who was looking away with her head dropped. "Elder Sarah? Are you okay?" She queried, walking up to her and patting her on the shoulder. Sarah turned to her with a smile, "Yes, let's get this room cleaned up," she walked out of the room and the nurse scratched her head confused, still not sure what happened. She walks over to the bed and starts undressing the sheets. 

Sarah walks out of the chambers and returns to hers, she walked into the main office and sees Payton sitting behind his desk. "Payton.." she greets with a shallow tone. He looks up at his wife, "Sarah," he replies. "Do we need to talk about this?" she walks up to one of the chairs in front of his desk and sits down. He shakes his head and leans back in his chair, perching his elbows on the arm rests and bring his fingers together. "I think we do," she replies on his behalf. He half smiles, "What do you expect Sarah? If they leave and Eville is standing on the other side, what would you have done?" She looks down, torn by her answer. A part of her would've wanted to stop Eville coming into the Special City, but another part of her still cares and wouldn't want to exile him either. Payton notices she doesn't reply quickly and says, "He can't come here Sarah," She looks up at him, "Why not?" He looks at her angrily, "You know why Sarah. He would come in here and kill us all. He would kill me," She lets out a sigh, "Do you really think that's he's only agenda?" He laughs, "Yeah, and to take you from me," She shakes her head, not believing Eville to be that kind of guy. "He just wants to be apart of this world. Why should we prevent him?" He stands to his feet, his fists clench lean against the table as he looks down at her, "Sarah. Why are you so blind?" She stands to her feet, and their eyes meet, "He has killed people to get to you. He will not hesitate to kill me to get to you," The anger dropped as she could see the sorrow in his eyes, "I don't want to lose you," he drops his head as his eyes well up with tears. "Payton.." she exhales, walking around the table to his side. She touches his arm and he unclenches his fist, and places his arms around his wife and hugs her. "You saw what happened today, people will leave if we hold them here," she whispers, he pulls her away. "They can only get out with a key. Let's go speak to Ken," She nods, not wanting to make the situation worse and they call for a Council meeting with the elders. 

The Elders gathered in the Council Chambers. Elder Ken arrived unknowingly that he was about to be questioned. Once they arrived, Payton brought the Elders up to speed with the events that occurred. Warren who was there, sat quietly as he listened. "So, therefore, we are unable to go retrieve them as they are believe to be in the custody of Professor Eville," Payton finishes. "Why did you not approach the council for approval Ken?" Payton questioned. Ken rubbed his head, his memory is foggy, "I.. I don't know," "You don't know?" Luke questioned, sitting next to Ken. "I cannot remember why I didn't. All I can remember is making the key," "Perhaps Elder Ben could assist us?" Sarah questioned, referring to Ben with his ability to view memories. He and Ken approached the center of the room and displayed Elder Ken's memories on the wall. It showed Reckus approaching Ken and asking for the key, but as the scene disappeared like smoke, the next scene showed Ken making the key for Reckus in his house. Elder Ben returned to normal and removed his touch from Ken. "I have never deceived the Council," Elder Ken advised, turning to face the Elders as Ben returned to his seat. "This situation nearly brought Professor Eville into Distortion," Elder Ken bowed his head, "I will accept the punishment," "Confinement, 30 days," Payton directed as Drake approached him, grabbing his arm and removed him from the room. The Elders spoke among themselves as Sarah turned to Payton, "Seems a little harsh for a man who just made a key," Payton looked at her with discontent, and spoke quietly to one another, "Just because he can't remember doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished. He should not have made that key, and if he approached the Council, we would've advised the same," "We cannot keep people here like prisoners!" She squawked, catching the attention of the other Elders who hushed their conversations. "Keeping people here in Distortion, especially against their own will, people will want to leave," Payton nodded, "That's why we built the isolation chambers in the basement of this building," She shakes her head, "Keeping people here makes us no better than Fernbrooke," she shoved herself off her chair and stormed out of the room. As she closed the Council room doors, the building shook a little. Sarah's anger which was brought out rarely, shook Distortion. She managed to calm herself down by the time she reached the elevator, but for everyone else it felt like a small Earthquake shook up the city.