Chapter 40

Present day continued;

Nick stood up and turned to Drake, "Can you at least pass on a message for me?" He requested. Drake, noticing the elevator doors opened waited to see who would exit. He assumed Luna was still in the training quarters getting ready, but he was worried she might've come down to find him. He half turned to Nick, "What's that?" The elevator doors remained open but no one walked out into the foyer. "Tell her that I never lied to her at the waterfall, and she can deny it, but I know she feels the same way," he turned and walked out of the building. Drake watched him leave. He didn't know what had been said between them but he had a pretty good idea. With the doors closing behind him, Drake turned to go back upstairs. He moved in front of the open elevator doors and could see Luna standing there leaning against the back wall. Her eyes watering as she held her arms across her chest in her training blacks. "Luna..." he began as he approached her, but she disappeared before he could say anything. He looked around but she was gone. He pressed the button to the training room floor and the elevator moved quickly up. As he walked into the foyer, he could see she was sitting on the couch in her training blacks. "Luna?" He said with annoyance as he walked in. "What happened?" She looked up at him, he face the same as what he saw in the elevator. She wiped her face, "Replication, I wanted to know where you were without getting caught," "Thank you for not coming out of the elevator," "I wasn't able to extend my power down that many floors," she replied. "If I could, I would've," She inhaled deeply and was able to compose herself. "It's just hard for me to watch him go through this," Drake walked up to her and grabbed her hand. "But you understand right?" She nodded. "We are trying to protect everyone," He nodded. "Included him," she added. He guided her to the training room and the doors opened automatically. It was a night scene, the moon was full and bright in the sky above. The room had completely changed from what Luna had seen before. "When you are ready..." he said, holding out her hand for her to step in. "Do I have an audience today?" She asked, looking up in the direction of the viewing platform. "Only me," he replied with a smile. She nodded, and walked into the room. Drake followed but he disappeared quickly into the room to reach the platform. Luna looked up at the moon and felt a sense of calm and progeny. She could feel a shift in her mood as she stepped forward onto a street that lead towards a town.

Nick walked out the main chambers and back into the street. As he moved out of the doors, he moved onto the street and the fog seemed to have cleared. The street lights were dim and he looked up at the moon. It seemed so close, and bright as it shined down upon him. He had his hands in his pockets with his hoodie down, and he could feel the cool of the air brush against his drying tears. Walking down the street of Distortion, Nick could feel a presence behind him like he was being watched or followed. He didn't turn around at first, assuming it was nothing but as it became more apparent someone was following him, he couldn't help himself and turned around. He looked into the darkness but no one was there. He squinted his eyes and the lighting was too poor for him to see anyone. He turned back around and kept walking but he felt the feeling again. He decided to move down one of the side streets and as he passed the light into the darkness, he quickly ducked down behind a fence. He waited and looked from where he came, but again no one was there. After waiting a little while, he was about to leave when he could see what appeared to be a thick gathering of fog moving through the street. It seemed down the street the same way Nick was heading. It was like a grey smoke that moved like a growing wave that seeped down the street. It was unusual, but nothing about Distortion seemed normal. Nick waited for it to pass before heading back home, making sure to stay off the street.

Luna had already made it a few blocks down when she could hear a male roaring and could see two guys running towards her. Unsure what to do, she started to panic as they gained speed. She stopped and realized she had to fight these guys if she was ever going to progress with her abilities. She held her hands out to her side and felt a lightening bolt forming in her hand. She lifted it to her head and waited for the optimal chance to hit them. She lifted her other hand and the bolt ball split into two, she threw them both, spinning to gain speed on them and as she did so she hit the guys. Much like computer programs, they shattered into binary code and disappeared. She smiled to herself, happy that she was able to hit them both. She heard footsteps fast approaching behind her and she levitated herself up with force, jumping over the approaching threat and kicking them in the back. Her Lunar super strength threw him down and she held her hand out, putting him to sleep. He laid on the road and didn't move. Luna felt proud of herself, she didn't realize how strong she could be at night. She moved on, walking through the town looking for a new threat. At the end of the street was a large Japanese temple light up with hanging lanterns. Besides the street lights, it appeared to be the only building that had life. She started to run to move to the edge of the street quicker and she lifted herself off the ground and floated towards the temple. As she reached the steps, she lowered herself down delicately. In the darkness, she could hear heavy breathing and grunting of two different beings on either side of her. She looked to her left and then her right, seeing large Ogres on either side.  They were tall, bulky and both dripping saliva from their bottom heavy mouths. Spotting her touching down, they both charged towards her. She smiled, moving her head side to side and she closed her eyes. She concentrated, hoping her purposeful action doesn't get her killed. The Ogres were almost mimicking each other as they ran towards one another. With Luna a few steps away, one of the them reached out with one hand as the other reached down with both. However, as they made it to her position, they banged into each other as Luna used her intangibility so they were able to move through her. Annoyed at each other, the Ogres starting shoving at each other and Luna moved forward onto the temple steps. She turned around and her see through self became more fluid. They both stopped and looked up at her but she extended her replication ability and Luna appeared to clone herself around them like a clock at each hand. They looked around at each of the Luna's surrounding them, moving in circles to prepare for an attack. "HEY!" Luna screamed out, getting their attention. As she distracted them, she used he ability to discharge her duplicates and they ran forward. Each one individually kicked and punched at the Ogres, sending them forward and backward at the strength each of them possessed. Luna who was standing on the temple steps could see they were weakening against her multiple attack and she moved away, concentrating on the fight but going into the temple. She heard the sound of two powerful thuds on the floor and looked behind her, seeing both Ogres floored to the ground.