Chapter 31

10 years ago continued;

Akiko walked back inside the facility of Fernbrooke, after just leaving Bolt outside in the courtyard. As she walked in, she could see Ryder holding up Apollo by the neck as he squirmed in his grip. She wasn't one to go against Ryder, especially as he was at least twice the size of Akiko. She stood at the doorway for a moment to see what she had walked back into. Apollo's small hands clawed at Ryder's arms in attempt to let him go. He managed to squeak out, "I just wanted to see my father," Ryder shook his head, "Sorry boy, but your father is not here right now. Go back to your room," He dropped Apollo who fell to the floor. Akiko realized Bolt's little white lie had caused him to rush out of his room in attempt to see his father who actually hadn't returned to Fernbrooke. Ryder felt like he was being watched and turned, seeing the entry to the courtyard clear. He turned back to Apollo who was slowly helping himself to his feet as he regained his breath. The adult strength of Ryder against the young boy's throat was powerful enough to leave him breathless momentarily. Apollo used the wall to help him stand up straight, keeping his distance from Ryder who remained rigid as he waited for him to disappear back to his room. Akiko knew she had to do something, she didn't want to see Ryder pick on Apollo, and she certainly didn't feel comfortable staying at Fernbrooke. She needed a way out and it dawned on her what she needed to do. She peered around the corner to see the only guard in the area turn down a hallway towards the main games room. Akiko closed her eyes and focused. "Hurry up boy, get to your room," Ryder demaned, frustrated by Apollo's slow movements. He was only wasting time hoping his father would return in the next few moments. He had grown to miss him over the passed week and was looking forward to his return. Ryder pushed Apollo in the shoulder when there was a loud click of heels against the hallway floor. They both turned to see Professor Eville walking towards him, his suit looking brand new as he brushed his hair back with his fingers. "Sir?" Ryder greeted, confused by his sudden appearance. "Father!" Apollo cheered, running up to Eville and hugging him. The Professor leaned over and hugged him back, but notice the body language in Ryder changed and quickly let go. "Good to see you back sir," Ryder admitted. He reached out his hand for Eville who still holding onto Apollo, hesitantly reached out to him and shook his hand. Ryder squinted his eyes, noticing the change in handshake from the usual strong powerful grip. Something Eville liked to do in order to show his dominance. Eville stood back, "I was thinking of spending some time with Apollo," He advised Ryder, who looked down at Apollo who was clutching onto Eville. He didn't wait to here Ryder's answer as he walked away guiding Apollo as they held onto each other. Ryder folded his arms over his chest, not quite convinced of the Professor's actions. He would at least like an understanding of where he had been and what has occured since then. As he walked away form Ryder, Bolt entered the room from the side. He looked at the Professor and queried, "Akiko?" He turned to Bolt, the face of Akiko showing through as she used her ability to fool Ryder and Apollo, but as Bolt walked in the room, he could only see Akiko holding onto Apollo. Ryder looked at Bolt, "Akiko?" he grunted, confused by why he would say that to the Professor. Due to her shock by Bolt discovering her, she dropped her guard and Ryder was able to see Akiko standing with Apollo and no longer Professor Eville. Apollo looked up at Akiko and scrunched his face up confused, "Akiko? Where's father?" he let go of her, dropping his arms to his side as she looked at everyone. "Akiko what were you planning to do?" Ryder inquired with an agressive tone, pissed off that she attempted to leave with Apollo. "I am planning to leave Fernbrooke, right now. And I'm taking Apollo with me," "Akiko, you can't do that..." Ryder bellowed. Apollo stood beside Akiko still very confused by the situaton. Bolt walked closer to Akiko, "Akiko, no, please stay," He reached for her hand and she looked at him and with a soft voice spoke, "Come with us," He shook his head and she dropped her hand, "This is like a prison. There is no freedom here," she cried, looking around and reaching for Apollo.