Seo Kang Joon

"You useless piece of trash! Leave the house right now you b****!"

I was only 16 years old when I was kicked out of the house, left with nothing. I only lived with my mom, my father left us after I was born. My mom had anger issues, and would always yell and tear me down with her harsh words. We didn't have a lot of money but we always had enough to live our lives. No matter how hard I tried, or no matter how much I did for her and others, I would always still get scolded.

She forced me outside and slammed the door in front of my face. "Mom! Mom please don't do this! I'll be better! I promise! Mom!" I cried and cried as I kept begging for her to open the door for me. I was emotionally unstable and fell onto my knees, leaning onto the door. "Mom.... I did wrong...please...let me in..."

Feeling the presence of someone, I looked up and saw my best friend Seo Kang Joon with wide eyes. Why is he here of all moments? I tried wiping my tears and stood up to run in the opposite direction. "____!" He yelled after me.

I didn't get far until he caught up to me and grabbed onto my wrist. I was too embarrassed and didn't turn around to face him. Tears kept falling and I didn't even care about anything anymore. Suddenly, he pulled my arm, making me turn around and his arms wrapped around me. He hugged me tightly and stroked my hair with his other hand. He didn't say a word, or ask any questions. He just kept hugging me and stroking my hair. Unconsciously, I hugged him back and cried into his arms.

He was always there for me whenever I needed him but whenever my mom would hurt me, I'd always hide the pain from him.

~~~

Years Later, we've both grown into adults. We were riding our horses in a field of high grass. The wind would carry our laughter, and the sun would always be there to watch over us.

I rode my horse past the lake and cheered. "Woohoo I won!"
Seo Kang Joon followed soon after and laughed. "This is your third time beating me now."
"Haha are you sure you're not going easy on me?"
"Of course not!"
We both laughed and dismounted the horses. We tied them to a nearby tree and took a stroll.

"_____." He called my name.
"Yes?" I said turning around.
"Nothing. I just wanted to say your name."
I laughed and said, "What the heck.." I continued on walking, and once again he called out my name. "Aish what do you want!" I said a bit annoyed.
He laughed and walked up next to me. "Let's go." He smiled and walked ahead of me.
"What's this...?" I said to myself confused.

When reached the river, I saw so many lanterns hanging in the trees and little candles placed on the floor making a pathway. He turned around to face me and said, "Do you like it?"
"What is all this?"
He smiled, held out his hand and urged me to take a hold of it. I paused for a bit until I slid my hand into his.

He lead me through the lit pathway and we arrived to where the candles made a huge circle and stood in the center. Kang Joon held both of my hands and said, "____, today's the day I want to formally confess my feelings to you."
I nervously laughed and said, "What are you saying?"
"I'm being serious." He said it so seriously, it gave me goosebumps. "We've been through rough times together. We've had the best moments together. We've known each other all our lives, and I want to spend the rest of it with you. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way but I want to hear it directly from you too. Mm?"

What do I do? Ahhh my heart's beating so fast! What do I say?

I took a deep breath and exhaled. "I like you too. I really really like you. So much to the point where I've fallen in love with you." I covered my face out of embarrassment and yelled, "There, happy?"
Kang Joon laughed and suddenly embraced me. I heard his heart beating and a smile came across my face. I hugged him back and he said, "Will you marry me?"

Requested by @MonicaNayak

Song: Moon Embraces the Sun OST - Hidden Moon Court