9

"Manipulation is like a blooming flower. One seed of doubt is all it takes for it to grow and weave itself into your mind."

Aniqah Gamieldien

9|Jealousy and Unearned Trust

"I can't believe he kissed you!" The screeching voice hurt my ears. "He is like a ten in bed." Brittney said, referring to Macy's current male interest, but when Macy looked over at her with a disapproving look she added a quick: "I mean, that's what I've heard." She looked away and took a sip of her diet soda.

I sunk my fingers further into the pink carpet, playing with the cotton-like tendrils. My eyes stayed glued to the carpet as well. Unfortunately, there was no way to cover my ears without being overly obvious. The room smelt of a scent that was oddly familiar to me somehow. Like cinnamon.

My mind was wondering around, but mostly it was trying to stay off the topic of Jake. It had been two days since our paper conversation and I was still avoiding him. Luckily, the school had been on break, so I didn't have to go through the awkwardness of sitting next to him in two classes.

I could still picture his calm, hazel eyes and the way he always seemed to smile when he spoke. His brown hair was always found sticking up in different directions like some sort of road sign, but even though it was messy, he would still look amazing.

I had no idea why I couldn't get him out of my mind. It wasn't as if I had had a crush on him. We had only started speaking about two weeks ago. Yes, at times he was a bit on the flirty side, but that was all I thought it as. Playful flirting that meant nothing.

But yet, I couldn't stop thinking about the memories that had resurfaced. All of those childhood memories that now brought a smile to my face whenever I thought about them. I felt as if I knew him, even if we had just been best friends in our elementary years.

The thought of him alone had my heart racing, remembering the touch of his skin against mine. I still remembered the feeling of his hand on my waist and how his hands seemed to fit perfectly in the curve there. I could remember his breath against my ear as he whispered small words of encouragement. I could smell his scent of cinnamon and-

"Hello!" An annoyed voice called, breaking me from my thoughts. I looked up from the carpet and met the eyes of Nevada. Her face was scrunched up and I had to admit, it was not an attractive look on her. She looked like the witch that she was. But a second later, her face morphed into a happy expression, fixed with a fake smile and eyes with a deadly glint in them. "Katie." She said, pausing, to give me a full fake smile with teeth and lip gloss glistening and everything. "Did you hear me?"

I shook my head once and I could see that she was struggling to keep her composure. She seemed to get past her mental war and took a quick breath in through her nose, making an exaggerated breathing sound.

I bit the inside of my cheek and scanned my surroundings as my eyes darted around the room.

The only reason I was now at Annastacia's house was because my brother had given her my number. She had invited me for a "slumber party" and I wasn't the best at refusing people. We all sat in our pajamas now and I thought about Jake as they caught up on their gossip.

"I said that you looked a bit taken aback. What are you thinking about?"

My hands clutched my knees tightly.

My answer was immediate and a lie. I hadn't even thought about her question. Denial was my best defense.

"Nothing," I said too quickly, raising the attention of the rest of the group. They all looked up with curiosity now. Curse my nerves. I didn't want to tell them anything especially not Nevada.