19

Cover made by rizmatthews

"Find comfort in the chaos."

Unknown

19|Stay with me

I looked up at Annastacia with wide eyes. I hadn't moved since she had last spoken and I was still struck by her declaration. Jake seemed to be reacting the same way, because he hadn't spoken since, either.

The cool air whipped at my face viciously, but that didn't seem to break me out of my shock, like it usually did. My eyes wandered to the pool at that moment.

I watched as the clear blue water, so still at first, moved slightly every time a rush of wind blew across it. The water looked cold and unwelcome, like the harsh air outside.

I was snapped out of my revere when Annastacia got impatient.

"You're not leaving until you do it. So either get it over with or be prepared to stand there without food for a while. You choose." Annastacia said and all with a smile too. I inwardly cringed as I looked back at the water.

My head began to shake from side to side since my mind didn't want the words Annastacia had said to be real. My hair fanned out around my face.

"No." I said. "No, I can't do it." My voice began as a whisper, but as I spoke more, it was clear and loud. "You can't make me do this!" I began to scream.

"Alex." Annastacia beckoned him forward with a quick hand gesture. She then pointed at me. "Do it." She commanded in a low voice. Alex shivered slightly as he moved forward.

"If you don't do it-" Alex began. " -then you have to kiss me." Alex said quickly and then studied my expression as my eyes went even wider than they were before, which I wasn't sure was possible. I took in a huge amount of air, before stumbling backwards.

"You're really making me do this? Are you serious? Why is this important at all?" I asked all at once as I tried to think of happy thoughts. They didn't seem to come.

"Then you'll kiss him?" Nevada asked from beside Annastacia, a hint of hope is her tone. I looked at her and glared, as my breathing became heavier and heavier.

"Katie?" I heard Jake say from beside me. "You don't need to do this." He said. I turned my head towards him and shone a thankful smile. I nodded slightly, to say that I could handle this. When he got my message, he looked back to our perpetrators.

"You can just kiss me." Alex said finally.

Jake's eyes immediately filled with fury at Alex's words. I saw him clench his hands into fists at his sides.

"She's not doing anything that she doesn't want to do. None of you can make her." Jake paused. "I won't let that happen." He said lowly before sending out a glare to all the people around us.

I looked at Jake and watched as he clenched his jaw and aimed his murderous gaze towards the people before us. My heart warmed at the fact that Jake cared about me enough to threaten others in my name - even though it wasn't something I should have been happy about.

I had never had anyone do anything remotely close to what he was doing for me now.

Alex looked slightly hurt as he stood behind Annastacia, like the coward he had been acting as the whole day. His almost-blonde hair fell into his eyes silently as his grey-blue-green orbs darkened to an almost black shade.

"Katie?" He addressed me directly. His eyes fell on me and the intensity in them made me cringe. "You can just kiss me." He said thoughtfully.

I was at a loss for words. I didn't want to hurt Alex or his feelings, but in total honesty, I didn't want to kiss him. Not here. Not now. Not at all.