40

"Why do all good things come to an end?"

-Nelly Furtado

40|Three words

"No! No! Please stop - I can't take it anymore!" Kayla exclaimed, her arms flailing in the air.

Despite her words, she was in a fit of giggles as her blonde hair made a golden ocean on the living room floor.

"Say it or I'll never stop." Jake said in mock-seriousness, tickling Kayla in the side once again.

"Ne-" she let out another full-hearted laugh. "-ver." But soon she was caving and her breathless voice filled the air. "Fine! Star Trek is-" she tried to stop laughing once again. "It's better than star wars."

"I appreciate your honesty." Jake finally stopped and lifted his hands to show that there would be no more tickling.

I loved watching Jake and my sisters when he was over. He acted like an older brother to them and it warmed my heart to see it.

"You know, star wars will always be better than star trek." I piped in, sitting on the couch while casually scanning my nails. I couldn't help the small smile that formed on my lips while doing so.

"Do you want to go down this road, Katie." I lifted my eyes to him and caught him raising an eyebrow comically. "Do you really?" He stalked closer, a wicked grin on his face and his arms outstretched.

"No, Katie! Save yourself!" Kayla screamed from the floor. Just as she said it, I looked over the back of the couch, there was nothing there and straight ahead, was the exit to the room.

I looked back at Jake to see that he could see my entire plan so I hopped over the back of the couch and made a run for the door. I could hear Kayla in the background, letting out a battle scream on my behalf.

Surprisingly, I actually made it to the door, but Jake was hot on my heels. My fatal mistake was looking back, slowing down in the process. Jake grabbed me by the waist right before taking me to the ground in a swift motion that was somewhat gentle.

"Now, I got you." He laughed as I squirmed, begging him to stop tickling me.

"Please-" I muttered between the giggles. He kept tickling and he looked down at me with expectant eyes.

"You know what you have to do." He declared but I would never submit. Instead I grabbed him by the neck and pulled him down and kissed him.

He stopped the tickling, just for a second, and kissed me back. "Why did you have to be my weakness." He muttered against my lips with a smile.

I smiled too, my hand on the side of his face as he hovered over me. "Because I like star wars. And star wars is better than star trek, right?" I smirked, running my fingers along his jaw.

"If I agree, can I kiss you again?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

I shrugged my shoulder, moving my thumb over his bottom lip. "That's all you have to do."

"Fine, star wars is better than star trek." And just like that he leaned in and met his lips to mine.

● ● ●

I woke up to a loud buzzing on Monday morning. My head was already aching steadily and the fact that I couldn't find my phone for a solid minute didn't make it any easier.

Stupid alarm.

When I finally found the spawn of Satan in between the ocean of sheets, my eyes furrowed in confusion.