12

"A coward hides behind lies and deceit."

Unknown

12|Sweet temptation

I put my drink down on the bar, giggling uncontrollably. Jim just made one of the funniest jokes known to mankind and I couldn't bring myself to stop laughing.

After a good five minutes, a thought caused my laughter to cease. I tried remembering the joke that was made in the first place, but every time I tried to grasp it, it would float away and leave me empty handed. It was like it was being forced away from my memory.

Actually, I noticed that a lot of my thoughts were slipping away. I couldn't grasp any of them and it made me feel more light, like I was floating, myself. I began to giggle again, as I thought about myself, not being able to remember things, which in actual fact made no sense, but I laughed anyway.

Jim who stood behind the bar, stared at me with a weird look in his eyes, but I dismissed it because there was, in fact, a smile on his face. He topped up my drink and did some sort of fancy swirl, mixing in the contents. I watched as the white, little grains chased each other in an impossible race as they could never catch up with each other.

I wondered what the white stuff was or what they were used for. They probably made the drink taste better. I smiled at the sight and took a bite of the strawberry in my hand. It was juicy with that obvious berry taste that made me moan and close my eyes in appreciation.

Once I had finished a few berries, I took another sip from my drink, through a pink and white striped straw that I couldn't quite remember being there before. Jim must have put it there when I wasn't looking.

I tried to remember how many drinks I had finished so far, but in a split second, my mind blurred and all I could think about was dismissing the idea, finding it absurd that I thought of it at all. The drink was too sweet and tangy to be a bad thing and I found myself becoming more and more addicted.

While I held the glass in hand, someone spun me around on the stool I sat on to face them and because of how fast it happened, I found myself giggling once again. I pouted as soon as I came face to face with a stern face. He studied mine briefly, before turning his attention to a certain bartender with brown hair and blue eyes. If it wasn't obvious enough, he turned to Jim.

I liked Jim. Jim was cool and the fact that he supplied my drinks put him very high on my 'people-I-liked' list. He was also really funny. His jokes were so good, that all of my laughing made me forget them.

"Someone's a Mister Grumpy Pants." I said as I looked up at Mr. Stern face.

He ignored my statement completely and spoke to Jim instead. How rude?

"What did you give her?" He asked Jim. I looked at Jim too and smiled, lazily. He smiled back at me, a bit creepily, but it was a smile nontheless. He stared at me the entire time he spoke.

"Nothing she didn't ask for, Alex." He said and to me it sounded a bit sly. He then addressed me. "Isn't that right, baby doll?"

I nodded enthusiastically, smiling as I took another bite of a strawberry. "See, Alex. Everything's perfectly fine." I wasn't quite sure, but it sounded like Jim put more emphasis on Alex's name than on the other words, as if he was mocking him. I giggled, unaware of what else to do.

Alex stopped glaring at Jim to take in my state. He looked at me like I belonged in a mental institution. At that moment, I had a strange thought that maybe I did belong there, but almost as soon as the mere image of white walls and white surroundings came into view, it floated away with the rest of my brainy thoughts.