It was three in the morning when the call came.

Everything was quiet in the hospital room. I had been laying awake for hours, feeling more alone than any other time these past few months, curled in a ball, contemplating whether there was any value in going on anymore.

The call.

I can't describe how I felt the moment I heard the news.

If I look back at everything, I don't know why I picked up. I hated him. I wanted him to stay out of my life for good, but here I was, accepting a call with his caller ID staring back at me on the screen. Hearing his grandpa say my name in a tone that had no hope in it was weird - his grandpa whom had only met me once before and still remembered my name.

"Something terrible has happened, Katie."

I didn't speak, not once, as he told me everything. He was at a hospital, the same hospital where I sat propped up in my bed. The ICU, Jake was in the ICU. A stab wound - he lost a lot of blood. Even as words became sobs, I had nothing to say.

If I'm being honest, I didn't process any of it. Not until the next day, long after I had put down the phone - when the old man could no longer form sentences.

It hit me harder than I wanted it to when I came to terms with the fact that Jake was in the hospital and that he wasn't waking up. The tears finally came.

They washed over me, not refreshing in the slightest, but like a wave crushing me and throwing me under over and over again.

I really do love you, Jake Riley. I'm sorry that I lied.