35

"Telling lies to protect someone you love only destroys them in the end."

Unknown

35|Drowning in Lies

The doors opened only to immediately close behind me again and just like that, the suffocating air surrounded me. With every step into the school building, it felt as if I was creeping onto Nomansland.

All in all, school could become a warzone and Annastacia had succeeded in making it one. Right then, it felt like that exact moment before you crept over the trench - that brief moment of safety even though every doubt attacked your mind.

Even as my brother walked beside me, I still felt alone. We weren't walking in stride; we weren't even on the same page. Ever since this year had started, Joshua had been the one I always went to with my problems, but I couldn't do that this time.

Annastacia had already told me that if I ran my mouth about any of this, there would be consequences. Since she had that picture of me in Alex's bed, I wasn't willing to take any chances.

Curious eyes always spotted me these days - exciting the panic in me - but I had learnt to deal with the attention. Before, I had never realised that with these curious eyes came smiles but ever since Annastacia had told me that people actually started to like me - or maybe pity me - after my accident, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

That very morning, a girl even walked up to me and greeted me.

"Hey, Katie!" She exclaimed, as she moved closer. "I'm so glad you're looking better after your accident." She then hugged me - actually hugged me - and I had, never in my life, spoken to her before.

Seconds later, she was gone and blending in with the sea of people who stood in the hallway.

I knew what would come next. Each morning, as soon as I passed the Home Economics classroom, Annastacia would appear, asking me one stupid question.

I looked to my side. The Home Economics class.

"Hey, Kitten!" Her voice pierced my ears and I mentally cursed her for belittling me with the nickname. "Lunch with us today?"

My eyes travelled to Annastacia's blue ones. They held a challenge and the fake smile planted on her face couldn't possibly fool me. I had seen her without it and now that I had, it was tattoed at the back of my mind. I would never forget her true intentions.

"You know what Annastacia?" With a deep breath I replied. "Why not?"

I had completely forgotten about Joshua until I noticed that he tensed beside me. "Katie, what are doing?" He whispered so that only I could hear.

"I don't see any harm in it, Josh." I said a bit louder to show Annastacia that I hadn't told him about our deal. "It's time that I accept their apology. They obviously didn't mean to hurt me."

"Are you serious right now?" He demanded loudly and then in a softer voice he reminded me, "you couldn't even come downstairs for dinner while she was in our house."

My mind travelled back to my parents' business dinner with the Roberts' family. The business dinner that had only happened because of Annastacia's own goals.