18

"Sometimes it's not the people who change, it's the mask that falls off."

Unknown

18|A story to tell the kids

Jake and I made our way across the manicured lawn of 326 Gulliver Way. The green grass sparkled with dewdrops.

Luckily, the rain had calmed down after a couple of hours, but there was still a high risk of slipping and eventually falling. Or more importantly, there was more room for embarrassment.

The pristine, white house-like mansion wasn't very far from my home. The big expanse of land was actually right down my street. I was glad that the house what not too far away from both the school and my house, because with my non-existent athletic build, even walking to the fridge downstairs at home made me pant.

It was almost 18:30 now, which had been the time printed on the invites we had received.

It felt weird crossing the property of someone else's lawn and not even knowing who lived there.

As we walked, I felt a twig snap under my feet and Jake immediately shushed me and continued walking ahead of me cautiously. We tiptoed quietly past a garden gnome, which looked oddly as if it was watching us.

I shifted my gaze away from it and moved slightly closer to Jake as my skin crawled with anticipation. I was never one for horror or mystery and if I ever was frightened, it wasn't the best outcome. I was sure I would die of a stroke if anyone tried to scare the hiccups out of me.

We walked further into the trees that covered the sides of the house. I barely managed to see through the foliage of leaves before me. All I had was a vague image of the door.

Jake and I had a plan, you see.

We were not the type of people who willingly wanted to die anytime soon, so after much thought and four hot chocolates later, we had come up with a plan of action.

Instead of potentially falling into a trap, Jake and I decided that we were going to sneak in. I know what you're thinking. Why go at all?

Well, out of curiosity of course.

Jake moved in next to me and took a deep breath before rattling out the plan quickly. I nodded in agreement as he spoke, as if to tell him that I was listening. Once, he had gone through all of the steps, he gave me a quick hug.

"Good luck." I whispered after him. He looked back over his shoulder, as he headed back out into the open. The smirk on his face was dominating.

"Thanks babe, but I don't need luck." he boasted before completely disappearing from my view. I was glad that he was gone, because immediately after, heat started attacking my cheeks.

Just when I thought I was alone, his voice wandered to me again. "Stop blushing and stick to the plan." He called in a whisper shout. Even though his voice was only a whisper, I still managed to hear the clear amusement in his voice.

I grinned to myself as I wondered how he knew me so well. We hadn't known each other that long, but I must have blushed pretty often if he guessed at my action correctly.

After my happy aura wore off, I focused back on Jake. I watched him as he made his way over to a nearby window and peeked inside. I almost laughed when he ducked down quickly and pressed himself against the side of the wall. It was just like how they did it in the movies.