26

"I've got fake people showing fake love to me."

Fake Love, Drake

26|Maths solutions and puzzle pieces

I stood hesitantly at the entrance doors to the school. Through the makeshift window of the door, I could see groups of people talking and laughing like they did every morning. Everything always seemed carefree until the bell echoed through the hallways.

As soon as the sound erupted, everyone knew that it was time for school to begin and depending on whether you shared classes with your friends or not, it would either be fun or torture.

My shaking hand hovered above the doorknob hesitantly. Every thought in my head screamed at me.

Please don't go inside.

My breath shook as I slowly pulled my hand back and began to turn away. My feet moved of their own volition - one step back and then another.

Before I could get too far away from the doors, a hand grabbed mine and squeezed. "Hey. Calm down." My brother whispered softly, trying his best to comfort me. "I'll be with you, okay? You don't have to walk through those doors alone."

His eyes were a calm shade - maybe the calm before the storm. I took in a deep breath and then nodded. He instantly noticed my uneasiness and brought me in for a hug. "They can't hurt you, Katie. Don't let them hurt you." He mumbled into my hair.

I nodded again, but into Joshua's chest this time. "Okay," I whispered back and pulled away from the hug.

Joshua smiled sadly at me before turning me around to face the doors again. He kissed my temple quickly before gesturing for me to walk whenever I was ready.

I took a deep breath and then started walking forward. Joshua kept to my side and matched my stride, opening the door so that I could walk in.

The sound of voices surrounded us as we moved down the corridors. I refused to look at anyone around me and rather kept my eyes to the ground.

Joshua moved with me towards my locker, but before we could get there four figures stepped in front of us.

It was them.

"Katie! We're so glad you're back!" A voice exclaimed, managing to catch the attention of everyone in the hallway. I registered the sudden silence that took over the school.

Annastacia grabbed me by the shoulders and forced me into a hug. My body immediately tensed and I gritted my teeth in annoyance.

They said they'd leave me alone.

"Yeah." Her minions chorused behind her. One of them sounded completely unenthusiastic.

Nevada.

When Annastacia finally released me, I retreated back to Joshua's side to avoid any more hugs.

Four girls in expensive clothing wearing fake smiles stood before us.

Chelsea, Brittney, Nevada and Annastacia.

"It's been a while since I've seen you, Kat." Nevada all but sneered at me. Her narrowed brown eyes glared at me openly unlike the rest of them who were trying their best to keep smiles on their faces for the people around them.

I looked away and sighed at the ground. "I was hoping it would stay that way." I muttered under my breath as I clenched my fists.

I heard Nevada let out an exasperated breath of air and stamp a high heeled foot onto the floor to show her annoyance.